CyanogenMod 6.X is getting closer

Last Updated:

1. GreatBigDog

GreatBigDog Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Soon....... the test builds will be out, within a couple of weeks I bet. For now I'm test driving a nightly build. Not everything is working but Sweet!!!!!!

gbd

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. zortoflaven

zortoflaven Well-Known Member

Should we expect to see the full range of new Froyo features? I assume 3D Gallery and such will be left out again due to performance issues.

3. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

3D gallery should be ok. I'm using it on 2.1 and it had been a dog but turned out to be a caching issue. Once that got fixed it flies just fine and only delays to thumbnail new pictures. However I'd stay away from flashy features like live wall paper that work but are pointless and drag the cpu and battery. 2.2 should be no problem once completed but for Magics you have to be reasonable with the flashy stuff. 2.1 is already way better than 1.5 so any official statements about being unable to run 2.x are just not true.

4. Silvertag

Silvertag Well-Known Member

Its the Launcher2 and Flash that will probably be left out because of the ram issue.

Edit: Forgot to say 3D will be disabled by default for the reason mentioned above.

5. GreatBigDog

I'm using the 3D gallery and I didn't notice any diff between magic and the Liquid E. you need to remember that the ROM is made for G1/MT3G which both have less memory than the Magic. CM 6.x will also include ADWLauncher in place of Launcher2 and IMO is a much better launcher anyway.

6. vikingisson

two thumbs way up for ADW. Best launcher I've tried. Enough features to exploit power phones and configurable enough to be fast on ours.

7. egemenbor

egemenbor Well-Known Member

just out of curiosity did you have to change the radio that you had in your tutorial? or is it a matter of loading it on to a sd card (goldcard again?) going into the recovery and the flashing the new rom?

8. GreatBigDog

No Goldcard or radio change required. Once you're rooted and running cyanogen, it's just a matter of flashing the new ROM, ebi1/32A kernel port and a compatible Google apps package.

CyanogenMod is designed for EBI0 radio where ours is a EBI1, thus the requirement for the kernel port.

Cyanogen received a C&D order from Google last year so he could no longer include proprietary Google apps in his ROM any more. That is why when you first flash CM you need to also flash the Google apps package as well. Once you have the apps installed, during any update the ROM will backup the apps, install itself and then restore the apps. This is assuming that it's within the same Android version. With the change from 2.1 to 2.2, some of the apps from 2.1 are no longer compatible thus requiring the flashing of a new apps package.

I haven't posted any links to this stuff because anybody that needs to be shown where to find the nightly builds probably shouldn't be playing around with them. Anyone who's into experimentation on the bleeding edge probably already knows where/how to find them. These nightly builds are what you would call pre-alpha and are mostly for the dev's to check out the previous days changes/additions. When Cyanogen and the team are ready to "Beta" test the ROM you'll find links to the test roms in the forum over at cyanogenmod.com

If anybody is really insistent on test driving this ROM, you'll be able to find links to the files in the forum at XDA-Developers.com or in the CM 6.x thread over at CyanogenMod.com. If you decide to go down this path, just remember that nandroid backup is your freind.

gbd

puleen and jdodds like this.
  9. jdodds

jdodds Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info GBD. I think I'll head the, stay away till at least beta release, warnings since my phone is my daily driver.

But keep us posted on how things are working out.

10. GreatBigDog

CM 6.0.0 RC1 is out, This is not a stable release but the first of the Beta releases. Everything seems to be working but it does have a problem with Force Closing on the Market.

I tried to install it over my CM5 but it just ended up in a boot loop. I had to do a wipe before I installed CM6, Kernel port and new Gapps.

gbd

11. Silvertag

Yeah Market FCs are a pain but at least the install works correctly. Often after the seconth or third FC it stops poping up. Also had some unexplained reboot on some high usage maping app like iGO. Also got a reboot when i asked for a shutdown but overall it still can be a day to day rom.

12. bunhead

bunhead Well-Known Member

I had the FC on the market and teh reboots as well. I resolved them bu wiping and reinstalling and using the Google Addon FRF91-MDPI-3

13. Silvertag

Tried it but still have Market FC.

14. zortoflaven

zortoflaven Well-Known Member

I've only had one market FC after a wipe and using gapps-3. It occurred when I was downloading 10+ apps while 4+ were installing :p

15. puleen

puleen Well-Known Member

Does this require the same gold card hack which you had posted on the blog GBD?

16. GreatBigDog

Once your phone is rooted you don't need the goldcard to change the ROM, the goldcard was required to enable running of the RUU's. Since flashing of the ROM is done from recovery, you're good to go without it.

If not rooted, just substitute the CM files in my guide with the 6.0.0 files and then follow the rooting procedure. There is no link on the CM6 download post for the kernel port but you can get it from Brian Crook's site Index of /android/cm-ports

17. vikingisson

The RC1 is fairly stable but unless you're a bit geeky I'd wait until the stable version. For us Rogers users I'd suggest using Alan90's version since it is on the old radio. With nandroid backups you can switch back and forth between 2.1 and 2.2 easily. It was really nice to have most of my apps and settings follow me to 2.2 without reinstalling one by one. Just give it the time to sync up.