• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Cyanogenmod 7 progress/updates (daily!)

Yeah, quite a complex process indeed. I've got to think there are log files generated on the phone that may help in the troubleshooting process, BUT the question is whether the phone's OS even up enough to access them. I'm sure the Devs have some standard process on troubleshooting these sorts of issues, but I have no idea what that might be. I did find a couple things which may or may not be of use. I don't think I can post links yet so I'll shoot you a PM.

Upvote 0
actually does anyone have a theory on how to in real time preferrably debug this thing before its booted? adb commands won't work since its not recognized before bootup. If I can achieve that then that would be very helpful

edit: I have one option: http://elinux.org/Using_Bootchart_on_Android but I want to know if there's possibly any other method

edit 2: where is init.rc located?

Upvote 0
nope. it wont recognize the device before it boots.

Stuck on -Waiting for device-

edit: I need to know which init.rc I need to put "export INIT_BOOTCHART=true" in

edit 2:
wikipedia page on bootchart said:
1. start from a clean build, and set the variable INIT_BOOTCHART=true
$ cd mydroid
$ export INIT_BOOTCHART=true
$ make clean
$ make

however, the init_bootchart=true var isn't permanent and thus im assuimg i would put it in envsetup.sh?

edit: its not that adb doesn't work before it boots, its that cm7 never sets it to where debugging is enabled somehow and im not sure how to do that.

edit 2: the only init.rc i found is one called init.arthur.rc so is that the one i put it in?

Upvote 0
what kind of info exactly?

edit: seems like bootchart is a no-go. it won't work after i do "m INIT_BOOTCHART=true" preceded by touch /system/core/init.c

edit 2: woudlnt i be breaking the rules if I posted about an irrelevant device on a different device-specific subforum?

Upvote 0
Ok I think what would greatly help me at this point is figuring out the actual build process of cm7. By this, I mean what generally takes place, what files are pushed/pulled around in lamens terms and what kind of setup needs to take place in order for the correct files to go where they need to go. The reason I'm asking about this, I can't figure out what needs to be done to pull files from my warp as what I understand is what happens when you build cm7- it takes files off your phone.

Then again, I could try to go through what jbdr gave me first then ask questions afterwards, but im asking now :p

edit: progress update: none so far.. Workin on getting something to say.. lol

Upvote 0
I tried messing with this tutorial, but am not sure I made any progress.

My Brain Hurts: Porting Clockwork Recovery to New Devices

Used it to build an .img file, but it's only 5MB so I don't know if it's even worth testing. It was built from the contents of my phone's boot partition so maybe it should be smaller. I don't know.

Snake - It's just that extract-files.sh script that takes proprietary vendor files off your phone. I'm not sure if the make process kicks off that script or not so I just run it manually prior to the make process. (just in case)

I agree it would be really helpful to understand the big picture in all this. Hopefully someone out there with more experience is working on this stuff too.

Reactions: AndroidxD
Upvote 0
I tried messing with this tutorial, but am not sure I made any progress.

My Brain Hurts: Porting Clockwork Recovery to New Devices

Used it to build an .img file, but it's only 5MB so I don't know if it's even worth testing. It was built from the contents of my phone's boot partition so maybe it should be smaller. I don't know.

Snake - It's just that extract-files.sh script that takes proprietary vendor files off your phone. I'm not sure if the make process kicks off that script or not so I just run it manually prior to the make process. (just in case)

I agree it would be really helpful to understand the big picture in all this. Hopefully someone out there with more experience is working on this stuff too.

have you tried contacting any of the guys that had made cm7 for any other zte ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones