CyanogenMod Droid V5.0.8 (06/19/2010) available in ROM Manager

Last Updated:

1. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Best 2.1 ROM IMHO...if I wasn't a slut for BT Voice dialing and the enhanced exchange support in 2.2 I'd be all over this.

The BT dialing in CM was getting close to the 2.2 capabilities the last time I tried it - can someone who loads this ROM confirm how functional it is now?

3. shrink57

It is mentioned in the changelog. I will give it a test drive. I am one of the few sad souls that has no luck with any 2.2 ROM. Tried every trick in the book but never got WIFI running. I have been quite impressed with Koush's magic. Just bought a Boss DR-880 drum machine and trying to juggle all these toys at once :D

4. shrink57

I know the current trend is 2.2 ROMs but if anyone cares 5.0.8 installed great, has some interesting new features (for one, spere parts is now part of setup) and is running fast and smooth. Did a full wipe first...

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I think I'll hold out until there's a 2.2-based CyanogenMod. Nothing else does it for me anymore besides CyanogenMod. :)

6. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

I was running test 4 of this, which probable isn't much different and can say it was pretty great. I am now running BB 2.1 and am anxiously awaiting cyanogenmod's froyo release.

7. mihalich

mihalich Well-Known Member

Me too. I wonder how long its going to take he likes of cyanogen to catch up to the 2.2 roms once the source is dropped. Not long I imagine. Droidmod got left in the dust though when 2.1 came out. I was a droidmod holdout for a long time till I gave up on them.

Joe

8. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

I can't wait to see what cyanogen does with froyo! Got a feeling that it'll be sick. I used to love koushes cyan roms before froyo. Now bt push to talk, flash, and all the bells and whistles keep me on froyo.
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

From Droidmod's changelog:

"2.1 Live Wallpapers v1.1 thanks to xeudoxus"

Remember when this was exiting? haha

I gave up on them a long time ago.

10. Lars1

Lars1 Well-Known Member

I'm new to rooting and ROM's so please be gentle.

I have Only tried out two ROMS so far, BB v1.1 and CM 5.0.8.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but BB was so much faster and smooth.

Granted I did have a 1Ghz kernel running.

My quadrent score on BB was in the upper 500's and with 5.0.8 I am only getting 365.

Any way to speed things up? Am I doing something wrong?

I do like all the customization options but why so slow?

How is this better than BB?

How do I install a new kernel? btw I have ROM manager installed.

Thanks in advance

11. Lars1

Lars1 Well-Known Member

I think I figured most of it out now.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but I am still wondering why the Cyanogen ROM's are so highly praised?

12. xsoulbrothax

xsoulbrothax Active Member

Very short version, Cyanogen's ROMs are written from scratch rather than being edits of existing official firmwares.

13. shrink57

Just tried the bluetooth voice dialing and it is working fine :) Damn, this ROM continues to run smoother and cooler than any I have tried in the past (if I was told it was a leak of 2.3 I would believe it).

14. Lars1

Lars1 Well-Known Member

Why is this better? I've been playing with it a lot today and other than more customization options what has it got to offer, say over BB 1.1?

Also, how can I remove unwanted apps? Are there scripts or can I use Root Explorer?

Thanks

15. shrink57

An easy way to uninstall system apps is through Titanium Backup. Just do a search, long press the item, and one of the choices is uninstall. Scripts and root explorer (set the system to read/write) also work. As for which ROM is the best, CM seems to be the fastest and most problem free for me. it is a classic case of YMMV. Everyone's phone behaves differently. Throw in the fact that we all use different applications and have different criteria over the importance of speed over stability, you will get 12 opinions if you ask 10 people. At least it is easy to backup and restore setups so it is not a big deal to try them all. My biggest critera is the amount of lag in Homerun Battle 3D :cool:

16. Redflea

Cool...does it now provide any voice-confirmations back to you - i.e., does it say "Calling John Doe at home" back to you over BT to confirm the command?

17. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

I used to love when new CM roms came out. But now there are tons of solid 2.2 leaks and no 2.2 in aosp. :(

Ill be back to CM when they release a 2.2.

18. shrink57

I don't think so. If I remember correctly you have to hit confirm in voice dialer to initiate the call (still easier than searching contacts manually and then dialing).

19. shrink57

It is amazing to see the lack of interest in a new CM release. I wish I had a 2.2 that was stable for me but I am sure it will happen in time.

20. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Probably frustrating for the developers at CyanogenMod. I wonder why Google is taking so long with the 2.2 source.

21. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I went back to CM yesterday and there are a lot of features I am glad to have back. definitely some things I am going to miss about froyo as well though.

22. mihalich

mihalich Well-Known Member

Most likely the same reason no phones have been mass updated with 2.2 yet. There were serious bugs that are taking time to sort out, fix and let the carriers test on all their platforms for a little bit.

Joe

23. Redflea

Makes sense, given how the RCs that have been leaked run with varying success on people's Droids...