• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Cyanogenmod experiences?

lotus49

Android Expert
May 9, 2011
Yorkshire
Following a discussion with someone else on this forum who insisted that all S4s with stock ROMs lag, I decided to try a Google Play Edition ROM on my S4 to see whether I could tell the difference in terms of speed and responsiveness but I couldn't. My S4 has always felt snappy and lag free and it felt just as snappy (no more, no less) running the Google Play Edition ROM so I reverted to my nandroid backup of the stock Samsung ROM.

However, this got me thinking about other ROMs and I wondered what people's experiences had been like with Cyanogenmod, which I have used on my Xoom tablet. Are there any real advantages to Cyanogenmod over the stock Samsung ROM? If so, what are they?

I have never tried a Cyanogenmod ROM, I think, as one of those rare people who like TW I'd miss it's features. At the moment Cyanogen ROM are experimental "nightly" builds and by definition aren't stable. So they'd be no good for me anyway.

Like all of us here we like willing "test pilots", and although I will install some dubious mods a whole experimental ROM is a bit too far!

Upvote 0
I've got to say, that I've running pro bam which is based on cyanogenmod 10.2(android version 4.3!) And it has been rock solid for that time! I've had two updates I've installed ota....the one issue I do get is upon a restart, you tube closes, however if I try to start the app it runs absolutely fine :)

Pro bam is however a combo of aokp, paranoid android which are both based off cm! It allows a bit of extra modification, but not as much as 3 minute mod allows :-( everything else I've tried in the Rom has worked perfectly, I would certainly recommend giving it a go or any of the other cm Roms, but obviously read a few pages of the appropriate threads prior to it to see what, if any issues others are having.

I remember flashing daily on the s2 the cm 10 nightlies, and I can not remember why I stopped :p

I do miss some of the features from Sammy roms, but not all that much :)

Naturally though you do flash at your own risk ;-)

Reactions: Hawker
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones