CyanogenMod RC2 3G Switch Is Awesome

Last Updated:

1. altimax98

altimax98 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

To whoever came up with the idea for a 3G switch your a genius. The #1 reason to use this rom. I had battery problems on my phone before and it was annoying how in a few hours i would lose all battery and would have to charge.

But now thats all changed, I just hit the switch when I need to sync or use web and its saved me so much battery. I used my phone just like normal today.. a bunch of texting, about 30 mins of web time, some sega genesis emulator time and about 15min talk time and I only used 20% of my battery from 9am to 5pm.

K-9 mail sees that the 3G is off so it stops polling and immediatly polls when its reconnected and within 1 minute, my facebook, twitter, email and news apps all sync up. I love it :)

Thank you guys!!!!!

PS- the switch is in the Power Controller Widget

Advertisement
  2. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

it is a nice feature. CM roms always have new little surprises like that.

3. Kerplunk

Kerplunk Member

is the 3g switch the same thing as juice defender's APN off toggle ? or the setting that allows data to connect at a specific intervals ?

4. csoga

csoga Active Member

Yessiree, it is awesome...

I just updated to CM RC2 today, and already had the Power Widget on my homescreen. When it rebooted the first time, I noticed the new switch and had a sneaking suspicion what it was and that it would help my battery life!

We'll know tomorrow about this time. :)

5. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

just a switch built into the power control widget.

6. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

It is a very cool feature. I have used it here and there. Tomorrow I'm going to try it out for the whole day and see what kind of difference it makes.

I don't know if there is a suggestion area for CM (didn't see it on their website) but it would also be cool if they could add a switch to toggle between 3g and 1x for times when I want to receive emails immediately. Switching to 1x should save a good amount of battery compared to 3g also.

7. Kerplunk

Kerplunk Member

i mean does it serve the same purpose as juice defender shutting down internet connectivity? resulting in the same power savings.

8. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

yes but done manually. :)

Kerplunk likes this.
  9. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

I tried it all of my work day yesterday and didn't notice much of a difference. However, the past couple days I've been noticing my battery just being demolished so fast. I'm trying to find the source of it now :confused:

10. minger

minger New Member

any chance its possible to pull this off for use in other roms? Insanely clean + this would be perfect for me.

11. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

I would love to see Cyanogen and his team turn this into something like JD. I love JD but it is starting to get a little buggy (in terms of wifi location mostly). Implementing it as part of the actual ROM would make the functionality work better IMHO.