D Quad hands on.General

1. Nagrom

Nagrom Well-Known Member

http://m.androidcentral.com/huawei-ascend-d-quad-hands

Still looking forward to this baby, even though I'm very close to ordering the GS3.

Andy

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

Some inaccuracies there though. The ascend d1 is dual core. Hope 1.2ghz has nothing to do with the quad XL
  3. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

I really like the size of the device. 720p display but it doesn't seem too huge to hold and use.

I'm disappointed if it comes with an OS overlay though. The vanilla ICS was a selling point for me. Although one of the comments to that article claimed the D1 was the only device to receive an OS skin.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

The article also stated the D1 was the quad clocked up to 1.5Ghz, rather than it being the quad clocked down to 1.2 Ghz and only being dual core.

One things for certain though, there is a skin.

Won't matter to me as I'll be using Go Launcher initially. I dare say I'll be making a ROM for it at some point too, which would be AOSP...
    Unless of course, its all locked out, in which case I wont be getting one.
  5. Nagrom

Nagrom Well-Known Member

Has they been any word on whether the Ascend will be locked, or how easy Hauwei phones are to root?
  6. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Historically all Huawei devices have been bootloader unlocked AFAIK. Root shouldn't be a difficulty.
    Flumme, Gearu and SUroot like this.
  7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

Thats good to know...
  8. Gearu

Gearu Well-Known Member

I have an SII which has a 4.27 (aka 4.3) inch screen at 480x800, and after using it's screen for a year I can vouch that packing 720p into a 4.5 inch screen is a great choice, I think this will easily be the sweet spot for a phone screen.

I shouldn't really be considering changing from my SII for another year since the 2 year strategy has always worked well for me, but the D Quad is too awesome to ignore. I just hope it's higher bit tech won't cause huge compatibility problems with apps, but I guess they would have tested this already.
  9. toffzter

toffzter Member

I'm looking forward to the release of this phone. I hope it comes out with a friendly price. Any idea how much it would cost?
  10. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

No pricing information but huawei's mandate suggests it should be much more competitive than the SGS3 or One X....
  11. toffzter

toffzter Member

I did some searching and I found out that Huawei Ascend D Quad is on pre-sale at online shops for $599
  12. coos lick

coos lick Well-Known Member

Just for interest, I recently bought a Huawei Ascend G300 for my wife for her first smartphone:

Huawei Ascend G300 review - Pocket-lint

Must say, really impressed with what you get for your money. This more or less matches the Desire, for
    SUroot likes this.
  13. toffzter

toffzter Member

Huawei is out, Xiaomi is in. You should check out the quad core phone Xiaomi M2. It comes out with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. It will be released this October.
  14. Gearu

Gearu Well-Known Member

The reviews and benchmarks have started, and it seems indeed that the Quad doesn't best the SIII, HOX etc, just sits slightly worse in terms of everything (menus/speed/camera etc). The only thing going for it is the price. Sounds like that 30% battery saving tech is just a feature that turns down the cpu and lowers the framerate by the way lol.

Huawei Ascend D1 Quad XL review -- Engadget
    SUroot likes this.
  15. Gundam168

Gundam168 Well-Known Member

For some reason, distributors have marked down the price of this smartphone from $420 to just $180 here in Manila. Despite the ICS OS, the other specs of this phone can still give other quad core phones from Sony, LG and Samsung a run for their money.
  16. triger

triger Well-Known Member

Its so sad this phone still stuck on ics
    I own this tired of waiting for jb so dispose it for 70 box