• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root D1 to D2G, convince me its better...please!

jaydotelloh

Android Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So, my beloved D1 is being exchanged out by insurance. Of course they couldn't offer me a D1, or even a D2, im lucky I asked them for the D2 global instead of the D2.

I loved my D1 a LOT. Someone please convince me the D2G is better! I FINALLY got my D1 set up EXACTLY how I wanted it.

I enjoyed having full root access and I hear that the D2 is "fake" root. Are the ROM's any good? What can you OC to safely? What are the biggest disadvantages of the D2?

Someone make me feel better... :(

You are getting the global? Really no need to overclock as it comes stock at 1.2 ghz. Also, to the best of my knowledge you can not OC the global with any of the OC apps yet.
Don't know what people meant by fake root. You have full root access, you simply don't have access to the bootloader.
There are a few good ROMs that are actively updated. I would look out Fission or GummyJAR. More details on XDA for ROM's

Upvote 0
I ended up replacing my D1 with a D2G for insurance too, and I love it. There's a couple things that I miss about D1, two main things:

- Soft keyboard seems a little off (in landscape), I seems to miss the space bar somehow.
- Auto text seems less refined, it worked better on my D1
- The rearrangement of the softkeys took about a week to get used to, but I don't even think anything of it anymore.

But overall I really like the upgrade, I'm really glad I got it and generally don't miss my D1 at all.

It seems so much faster due to the faster processor (stock 1.2 Ghz) and the extra, much needed, RAM. The original Droid shared 256 MB with apps installed on internal storage (which is why it slows down so badly when too many apps are installed), while the Droid 2 Global has 8 GB internal storage, of that 512 MB is allocated for untouched RAM, hence plenty of space for internally installed apps and whatnot.

The D2G comes with an 8GB SD Card. Fortunately, when Best Buy swapped my phones out, they allowed me to keep my 16 GB chip, and kept the 8 GB SD Card that the D2G comes with. So I'm happy about that.

The D2G comes with wifi media sharing that allows me to share the pictures, music, and videos with my PS3 via wifi. I think it's pretty neat. Nothing you couldn't find on the market for a D1 though.

When I had the D1 I felt everyone's pain when demanding large apps (Google Earth) to include App 2 SD, while now I don't even think about it. I haven't installed a single app to my SD card, unless the app automatically installed to my SD Card, and only 7% of my internal memory is utilized.

I don't really mess with Blur much, I barely notice that it's there, and compared to the speed of the D1, I can't say that it "drags" my phone down as I have no comparison.

I think that by the time you get used to the rearrangement of the softkeys that overall, you'll see and feel that this is quite a major upgrade, behind the scenes.

I don't know what "fake root" is, but I used z4root with no problem at all. If busybox doesn't install automatically with z4root, (it didn't on mine for some reason) download the busybox installer from the market, after you root your phone, and use that to install busybox.

I've never used custom ROMs and I have no interest in overclocking my phone beyond the stock 1.2 Ghz as I feel it is more than sufficient, but I do use SetCPU to set a profile so my phone will underclock itself while the screen is off to save battery.

I hope that this makes your transfer to the new D2G easier and also makes you feel better. I was nervous for the same reason as you when I was involuntarily upgraded, but now, about a month later, I'm very happy with my Droid 2 Global. At times I think it's what the original Droid should have been. Besides, at least now, if you decide to visit Europe or Asia, you'll be able to take your phone with you.

Good luck!!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the support. My replacement arrived today, and much to my surprise, even though they told me I would be receiving a D2G, i opened the box to find nothing less than the Limited Edition R2D2 Droid 2!

I had mixed thoughts about this. I wanted the 1.2 ghz, but the limited edition is cool! I figure i can overclock to 1.2 and there will be no difference. I dont travel outside the US, so no big deal

Upvote 0
Thanks for the support. My replacement arrived today, and much to my surprise, even though they told me I would be receiving a D2G, i opened the box to find nothing less than the Limited Edition R2D2 Droid 2!

I had mixed thoughts about this. I wanted the 1.2 ghz, but the limited edition is cool! I figure i can overclock to 1.2 and there will be no difference. I dont travel outside the US, so no big deal

That's awesome dude!! :D

Upvote 0
My d2g is going back. After one week of playing, the battery life is a killer for me. I am not rooted, but went to bed last nite at 50%, was down to 15% when I woke up, and and turned off before I left for work. This was with me not touching the phone. I have touchdown with activesync, have the brightness set to about 10-15%, turned off gsm radio.

Upvote 0
Root and instal Fission ROM by Angdroid of teamdefuse. I got a D2 replacement when they ran out of stock on the D1 and my phone needed to be replaced. Blur destroyed my battery noticeably compared to Vanilla android. Since I've been running Fission my Battery life is excellent and my phone is much much snappier in response.

Upvote 0
My d2g is going back. After one week of playing, the battery life is a killer for me. I am not rooted, but went to bed last nite at 50%, was down to 15% when I woke up, and and turned off before I left for work. This was with me not touching the phone. I have touchdown with activesync, have the brightness set to about 10-15%, turned off gsm radio.
Why didn't you just plug it in to charge overnight?

Upvote 0
I think the single biggest thing you can do to preserve your battery life is use SetCPU to underclock your processor to 600/300MHz (max/min) whenever the screen is off. I've done a bunch of stuff to prolong my battery, but I'd say that probably has the biggest impact. Well, that and turning your screen brightness down. I had to switch back to my stock BP6X battery for a few days while my new BP7X is in the mail (this time with a WHITE R2D2 battery door, to match my WHITE D2G). Here's the battery life I got today (which isn't really good by my standards, but I've been spoiled by my BP7X).

N1urx.png

This was a pretty good day with my BP7X under much higher use than today's. That 22 hours was after 11 straight hours of MP3s at work, + web, voice, text, and email throughout the day. I can't show you the battery manager because it (stupidly) resets when you reboot the phone, though my battery app manages to track it.. I don't get it.

32ZVb.png

Upvote 0
wow. that is awesome with the bp6! I will reset setcpu, I had it set to 600/600, I didn't think it got to 300, but will try that. I have my d1 with me at a sales meeting, cause here I can't plug in, I am using pretty heavy, about 45 min of calls, respond to about 29 emails, 20 texts, and looking at phone constantly to check to see if anything is there. d1 is at 60% at 930, took off charger at 8am. was afraid that d2 couldn't make this time with no charging. will try your settings when i get back.

Upvote 0
my complete setCPU profiles are (in order of priority)

Temp > 42.0C 600/300
Screen off 600/300
Charging/full 1200/300
ChargingAC/full 1000/300 (This is to keep it from getting too hot during charing from a wall outlet, which charges faster than a standard USB charger, and thus is hotter)
Battery < 16% 600/300
Battery < 21% 800/300
Battery < 41$ 1000/300

Here's where I'm at now:

CltvP.png

Upvote 0
d1 is way better i had both you should of got incredible its the worst phone. i love flashing roms and my d2g sucks theres no roms but 1!

I disagree. My D2 is SO much faster than my D1 is. True there are way more ROM's for the D1, but there was always that lag I could never get rid of. So, I'm happy with my D2. And P.S. proper grammar and sentence structure helps get your point across better.

Upvote 0
My D1 was also replaced with insurance with a D2G. And I must say. It's wicked fast compared to my old D1. But the battery life is abysmal...won't even last a whole day with setcpu settings underclocking it.

Also, I use the Quick Settings app to turn off mobile data (3g/1x) when i'm not using it. (Side effect: it kills GV texting). I played around with Juice Defender on my D1, and I may have to re-check it out. And the Fission rom. And maybe buy a BP7X.

The only thing worse than the battery life is the keyboard. Never thought i'd say this, but i miss my d1 keyboard. There is no way (that I've found) to edit the pre-defined dictionary. On my D1, if i typed "Im" it would correct it to "I'm," "Id" to "I'd," etc. It works on maybe half of those now. Why?

Also, i had to track down the 3d froyo gallery apk to get it to sync with picasaweb.

It's a damned shame that motorola locked up this phone. I miss the openness that motorola had.

Upvote 0
My D1 was also replaced with insurance with a D2G. And I must say. It's wicked fast compared to my old D1. But the battery life is abysmal...won't even last a whole day with setcpu settings underclocking it.

Also, I use the Quick Settings app to turn off mobile data (3g/1x) when i'm not using it. (Side effect: it kills GV texting). I played around with Juice Defender on my D1, and I may have to re-check it out. And the Fission rom. And maybe buy a BP7X.

The only thing worse than the battery life is the keyboard. Never thought i'd say this, but i miss my d1 keyboard. There is no way (that I've found) to edit the pre-defined dictionary. On my D1, if i typed "Im" it would correct it to "I'm," "Id" to "I'd," etc. It works on maybe half of those now. Why?

Also, i had to track down the 3d froyo gallery apk to get it to sync with picasaweb.

It's a damned shame that motorola locked up this phone. I miss the openness that motorola had.

JuiceDefender is a must in my opinion. I have a BP7X, Fission ROM, SetCPU, JuiceDefnder and I get really good battery life. I hardly ever dip below 40-50 throughout a full day.

Upvote 0
Isn't juice defender and setcpu the same thing? I have setcpu running. However, I notice that when I slow the phone down to 600 mhz (like my droid), the phone really acts up. I use it to listen to music from pandora, and it doesn't seem to do well at that speed. I am ultra conservative with setcpu, I had it set to go down to 600mhz when battery went below 50%. I changed that to be 40% and have it at 800 until then.

Upvote 0
Isn't juice defender and setcpu the same thing? I have setcpu running. However, I notice that when I slow the phone down to 600 mhz (like my droid), the phone really acts up. I use it to listen to music from pandora, and it doesn't seem to do well at that speed. I am ultra conservative with setcpu, I had it set to go down to 600mhz when battery went below 50%. I changed that to be 40% and have it at 800 until then.

JD and SetCPU do different things. SetCPU changes your clock speed, JD changes settings like wifi, 3g network, screen brightness, etc etc based on profiles that you can set. The choices are almost limitless, it's a very, very cool app. However, I've found that I can do everything it does manually and get the same results, with no need to have a constantly running app "saving" me battery. I haven't gotten a noticeable decrease in usability since I quit using it. I just toggle data manually, and I switched to using autobrightness, I got lazy haha.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones