• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Daily Shutdown?

cgskipper

Lurker
May 3, 2010
I got an Incredible last week...it's my first smartphone and my first Android device. With all my past cell phone and now the Incredible, I've just plugged it in every night to charge the battery.

Is there any need to shutdown and restart the Incredible on a regular basis like you would for a computer? Just wondering if this would clear caches, speed it up, etc...

No reason to shut it down. I leave mine on for days on end. In fact since i got mine on thursday (29th) I've only shut it down 4 or 5 times. Most were on the first day while i swapped the battery and put in a new sd card. I tend to shut it down every couple of days but only if an app is acting up. For example last night i was listening to wgn radio app and it kept shutting off the audio feed, so i'd have to restart it (app issue not the phone). Anyhow i started walking upstairs and i was hearing 3 wgn radio audio feeds at the same time it sounded like it was echoing. I tried to get the app to shut off, but it just wouldn't budge, so i shut it down and rebooted. After that all was well again. So only in times like in my example do i shut it down. Some apps just aren't quite as polished at they could be, thats just how it is.

Upvote 0
I got an Incredible last week...it's my first smartphone and my first Android device. With all my past cell phone and now the Incredible, I've just plugged it in every night to charge the battery.

Is there any need to shutdown and restart the Incredible on a regular basis like you would for a computer? Just wondering if this would clear caches, speed it up, etc...
I don't think you have to do it every day or every week even, but I tend to do it every few days. It all depends on what apps you run and how well they are written as far as how much it helps refresh the phone.

Upvote 0
No reason to shut it down. I leave mine on for days on end. In fact since i got mine on thursday (29th) I've only shut it down 4 or 5 times. Most were on the first day while i swapped the battery and put in a new sd card. I tend to shut it down every couple of days but only if an app is acting up. For example last night i was listening to wgn radio app and it kept shutting off the audio feed, so i'd have to restart it (app issue not the phone). Anyhow i started walking upstairs and i was hearing 3 wgn radio audio feeds at the same time it sounded like it was echoing. I tried to get the app to shut off, but it just wouldn't budge, so i shut it down and rebooted. After that all was well again. So only in times like in my example do i shut it down. Some apps just aren't quite as polished at they could be, thats just how it is.

Where in the world did you find the WGN Android radio app? I've been looking for this app since I got my Samsung Moment in March, and it doesn't seem to exist. I type "WGN" into the search field in Android Market, and I get the following message:

There are no matches in Android Market for the search: wgn

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.

Try different keywords.

Try more general keywords.

There's only one way to spell WGN, and I've searched again and again. I've even tried searching for "radio" and can't find it. Where is this elusive app?

Upvote 0
Where in the world did you find the WGN Android radio app? I've been looking for this app since I got my Samsung Moment in March, and it doesn't seem to exist. I type "WGN" into the search field in Android Market, and I get the following message:

There are no matches in Android Market for the search: wgn

Suggestions:

Try different keywords.

There's only one way to spell WGN, and I've searched again and again. I've even tried searching for "radio" and can't find it. Where is this elusive app?
Chicago's WGN Radio 720 - Android app on AppBrain :)

Upvote 0
I tried loading it using AppBrain. Here's the message I got:

There are no matches in Android Market for the search: pname: com.tribune.wgnradio

Suggestions:

Try different keywords.

Any other suggestions?
That's strange. I decided to try it after the above post and it installs fine for me using the AppBrain app. Weird. Don't know what to tell you.:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones