• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Damage Control V 2.08 Questions

TsiTravis

Oct 27, 2009
So, i rooted (from a mac which was considerably more work than i had anticipated) and installed the newest Damage Control rom but i have some questions. I've searched a bit on XDA and here but due to a busy schedule i'm limited in the amount of free time i have and cannot read through 300+ pages to see if it has been mentioned, so i thought i'd ask here.

First, if i wish to modify the rom, such as adding different lock screens (like the Vanilla one created by other developers) can i just flash that zip file from the recovery? Also, what are my limitations with adding modifications, such as the modified phone tab, lock screen, etc.... Must i stay with the same developer or can i cross platforms?

Also, i know the newest version has the DCU updater that allows you to pick the themes and install them, however, after the files download it says gaining root access and it just force closes. Has anyone had this problem? Also, back to the original question, if i've downloaded the zip file can i just flash it from the recovery?

Lastly, i noticed that if you are on the home screen when you lock the phon and then press menu twice to skip the lock screen it brings up the menu on the home screen. This only occurs on the main home screen and i was wondering if others have noticed this as well? Is there a fix?

I appreciate any help any of you may be able to provide. I have searched a bit on a few forums, but i am a bit behind the curve for rooting and playing catch up has taken a lot of time.

As long as the theme is compatible with the rom, flash from recovery, but always do a nandroid before. Usually, wherever you download the theme or get the download link, it will tell you what it is compatible with. Generally speaking damage and fresh themes are interchangeable, but noy always, so just make sure whatever you choose will work with what you're running...

Reactions: TsiTravis
Upvote 0
So then i'm assuming that anything i download from DCU is compatible and can therefore be flashed directly from the recovery.

Can anyone provide me a good link with a list of modifications for the damage rom? Is there a thread on the XDA-Developer forum that lists all of the modifications that i have somehow overlooked?

Upvote 0
I have an additional question about damage control.

If i have the stock 2GB SD card, can that be formatted for apps2sd? I have all ready installed the Damage Control ROM and am quickly running out of internal memory free space.

Also, if it is possible to partition the stock card, i am assuming that i can move the apps i have installed to the SD card with the DC controller.

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
I just clicked Enable JIT and it said to uncheck Sense from the banned apps and now my phone just keeps resetting. It will start to load then go back to the white screen, then sprint splash screen and never gets out of it.

I've pulled the battery but it still does. WTF did I do and how do I fix it?? Thanks!

looks like it's best to just wipe and reflash everything. i don't see how this would stop if it's steady doing it continually even after you pulled the battery. gl

Upvote 0
My HTC widgets came back when I did this -

Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>HTC Sense> press Clear data, then reboot.

You'll have to set up some of your screens again, but that should get the widgets back.

i did all that and i still don't have the music widget that takes up the whole screen as well as some other widgets i used. it's the android widget that keeps appearing.

do u kno wha it means when it says "get more htc widgets"? i clicked that and nothing appears once it's finished checking..

EDIT: not sure what happened but it resetted on it's own and all the widgets there. hopefully facebook sync will work now!?! friends stream is pretty cool but when i go to settings and go to facebook and view friends it says "You have no friends". kind of hurt my feelings lol :(

Upvote 0
Well, if this is the place for it, can anyone talk about the elements in "DConfig" or point me to where there is a discussion of them? I am chiefly interested in the LowMemKiller settings. Is "Stock" a higher setting than "Low"? Also, making changes to "Banned Apps" (I unchecked SprintApps and SocialNetworking) doesn't seem to do anything, even after reboot.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Well, if this is the place for it, can anyone talk about the elements in "DConfig" or point me to where there is a discussion of them? I am chiefly interested in the LowMemKiller settings. Is "Stock" a higher setting than "Low"? Also, making changes to "Banned Apps" (I unchecked SprintApps and SocialNetworking) doesn't seem to do anything, even after reboot.

Thanks.

Ya, I'd also like to know what these settings mean. This doesn't run near as smooth and quick as Fresh 1.1 ran with Gumbo.

Upvote 0

Thanks.

I keep seeing talk of un checking banned apps and sprint apps, but for the life of me I cant find these options in my dcconf. Maybe im just blind or stupid but could someone enlighten me please?

Yes im sure im running 2.08.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi there, I have found the ROM to work almost flawlessly but for...
Question...why does my contacts only sync with facebook upto the letter M. Anything after that is like they dont exist.
The contacts are in facebook as I can see them if I log in to facebook, but for some reason if I try to sync them they dont appear to exist.
I try to scroll down as I search for the "friend" as I try to link them but the scroll stops at the letter M.
Thanks.

Also unrelated to this but I just found out when I rooted my phone and installed the ROM, apparently for a while several contacts and phone numbers had not sync with google contacts. Didnt realize it until I was trying to call a friend today and didnt have his number anymore, log in into my google account and he nor 5 other where there ...any ideas why this might have happened?

Upvote 0
it's cool..but i mean honestly it did hurt my feeling..i mean why couldn't it just say "this device couldn't locate friends at the moment" or something like that?? i mean sheesh?!?! HERO hit me right in the heart!!:p

lol im sorry idk why it's so funny.
I can just picture someone's phone saying

"You have no friends"

and then the person is like
"Damn, even my phone knows im a loser. Guess technology is advanced."

Ha im sorry i'm sure you have plenty of friends :)
I love Friendstream...I now can see all my friends statuses on facebook
and can easily comment on them:)

I love facebook application that we can now reply to msgs

Upvote 0
I keep seeing talk of un checking banned apps and sprint apps, but for the life of me I cant find these options in my dcconf. Maybe im just blind or stupid but could someone enlighten me please?

Yes im sure im running 2.08.

Thanks

When you open DConfig, do you see a button at the bottom of the screen labled "Banned Apps"? If not, I'm going with blind... or broken (install).

n.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones