Damage to Incredible covered?General

Last Updated:

1. Noga

Noga Member This Topic's Starter

I have no insurance plan for my Incredible and have dropped it several times, scratching the bezel. I was going to try to get a replacement bezel but the H in the HTC logo has become unglued and broke and a plastic piece just snapped when I was plugging in the micro-usb. Am I covered in anyway for the "manufacturing defects"? If not is it worth trying to pick up an insurance plan for it while I'm still within the 30 days and filing a claim in a week or two?

Advertisement
  2. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Geezus man, what the hell are you doing to the phone? I actually feel sorry for it.

To answer your question, no the warranty does not cover cosmetic damages like what you have described. Those are due to your own actions and are NOT "defects." Yes, you should probably add insurance if you feel it is necessary, however, remember that you will have to pay a deductible, and that cosmetic damages again are not covered, so you have to "damage" it a little more.

GrandMasterB, ucluglee and necosino like this.
  3. NoNoBadDog

NoNoBadDog Well-Known Member

Have to agree with previous poster...you are far too rough on your phone. The micro USB port should not break unless you were applying too much force or bending the cable too far. I have had my phone since launch and it is stll just like new. You should learn to treat your phone with a little respect.

4. coffee_carafe

coffee_carafe Member

That poor poor phone!

necosino likes this.
  5. IncrediblyCool

IncrediblyCool Well-Known Member

My Genius Plan: Get the 6$ a month warranty, demote ur incredible as a paperweight or trash and say u "lost" it the day after. *Note: U little sneaker, the phone will be blacklisted and u cant have 2 DINC's (as cool as that may sound,"look guys quadruple LED flash")

6. ezegm

ezegm Well-Known Member

So had my phone since launch and my volume buttons and power buttons have a soft feel to them.I went to the Verizon store a while back for a quick look and noticed that the display incredibles had a normal feel to the buttons.can I get a new one?

7. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

You could still use it as a camera, MP3 player, navigation (with downloaded maps, not google maps), games (just put the .apk on the phone), etc.. You can even surf the web over wifi..

Not that I condone the fraudulent use or misappropriation of insurance :)

8. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Ask big red, not us :p

9. Noga

Noga Member This Topic's Starter

It's a phone you douche. I take full responsibility for the scratches, but tge adhesive on the logo beecame loose and the plastic around the usb port broke with only slight pressure because I had it too angled. I'd say that's build quality.

10. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

You say in your own words you had it too angled so how is that build quality? If you put it in the way it was made to go it would not break I've had mine since the day it was released and haven't had near the wear you put your phones through

11. mhardy3

mhardy3 Member

please return your DInc and do not get another one we cannot afford for you to keep destroying these amazing pieces of hardware. J/K well only kinda lol

12. woop

Well I mean if you are putting pressure on something that wasn't supposed to go in at an angle, then I would think that whatever pieces are involved would eventually crack/break.

13. tcbj

tcbj Well-Known Member

Had to put down phone. Laughing so hard might drop it.

14. MooN

MooN Well-Known Member

I have to admit I did the same on mine...

I tried to plug in the usb cable to charge the phone in the dark. I had it a little bit angled, it slipped out, caught the plastic border and snapped it.

If you look at it, you can see that theres some space between the plastic border and the metal part that the USB plugs into. Bad design IMO... they should of just made it so there is no gap. The male part of the cable can get caught in there and break the plastic part.

15. woop

I am still confused as how this is bad design when it is you that is at fault (self-admittedly). If it was bad design then everyone's plastic border would be breaking.

16. kriswknight

kriswknight Well-Known Member

I would think if you were adding the insurance over the phone, they would want you to come into the store with the phone to make sure it is in decent shape before they would let you insure something that is broken.

17. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

you can add insurance w/in 30 days of purchase. From what I've heard, Asurion will cover the phone so long as there is usage on it after it was added. In other words, you can't break it, add insurance, and then expect to get coverage. I can't think of ANY insurance services that offer that kind of coverage...

And yes, to confirm, the phone will be blacklisted by Asurion if you submit a claim, and only they have the authority to remove it from said list.

18. MooN

MooN Well-Known Member

Sorry, guess everyone else is perfect.

I'd like to see how many of you this happens to in the coming months, after people stop babying their phones. I'm not a clumsy person at all... this happened real quick and could have been avoided if the plastic piece extended to the metal part. Oh well, can't blame HTC.

PS. Take extra care connecting the USB cable.

19. woop

Its not about being perfect. Its common sense. Its like trying to jam a circle block into a square hole. It was made a certain way and supposed to be put in a certain way. No where does it say "Its OK if you are sleepy and want to put it in at an angle." I, by far, do not baby my phone, however I don't act like its made out of titanium either.