DamageControl v2.09.1

Last Updated:

1. socodef

socodef Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Haven't seen anyone post about this, but he finally put it up.

Anyone know how to remove the bloatware in 2.1? I tried doing it the way we had done it earlier and it's not working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

I haven't flashed 2.0.9.1 yet.. but plan on it.. it probably won't be my daily ROM since it is no longer supported by DamageControl (he moved to EVO)... but if it runs rock solid it might end up being a daily rom.. we'll see..

3. socodef

I had a little trouble installing it, got caught in a boot loop. But so far, it seems pretty solid. He just left all the bloatware in there, not sure why.

EDIT: Completely forgot about DC Config. Bloatware is gone.

4. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

I'm currently running 2.08.1, and might consider this. I'd be interested in feedback/comparisons after some of you get some time with 2.09.1. Thanks!

5. mslisaj

mslisaj Well-Known Member

I'm running DC v2.08.1 without any issues and I would love to hear more about this new DC Rom and what is the advantage to the up grade.
    Also did you have to wipe to go to this Rom from the previous addition?
    How do you use the DC updater to install the Rom?
    How did you use the updater to remove the bloatware?

Love more feedback from you guys using the new Rom.

Thanks for your help.......

Lisa

6. nathanotis

nathanotis Well-Known Member

Watching this thread.

7. swapped

swapped Member

i upgraded without a nandroid backup and it got caught in a bootloop so i lost all my stuff - my fault i know, i just let dcupdater do it today. i wiped and installed and its been good since

ps wtf happened to mabilo ringtones?

8. mslisaj

Still watching too. Trying to keep the thread alive for some informative responses.

9. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

chances are to remove the bloatware, just go into manage applications and you should be able to uninstall them through there. That worked for Beezy's ROM's, so it might work for DC as well

10. JB in AZ

Info for all concerned.
    I also used the DCupdater and got into a boot loop. Fortunately, I did a nandroid backup just prior, so all is well. The updater did download the zip file for the 2.09.1, and automaticlly booted into recover to flash it, but I suspect that it didn't wipe first. I will wipe, and retry. BTW, the zip was downloaded into the dcupdater folder, not the root of the sd card. So I will move it there first, then wipe and flash normaly from recovery. I guess I was hoping i wouldn't have to set it all up again.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Don't forget to make a nandroid backup!

11. mslisaj

Could you try it without the wipe first?
    If I have to wipe to upgrade my existing DC ROM then I'm not going there. Not going to rebuild this phone again.
    Sure appreciate the update though.........

Lisa

12. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

I tried DC 2.0.9.1 twice so far.. both times it don't import all my google contacts. plus the SenseUI widgets don't show up. I made sure that Sense was NOT checked in the banned apps so I don't know why only DC won't import my google contacts..

if it can't even do the very basics of an android phone then it's a fail to me..

mslisaj likes this.
  13. JB in AZ

Too late! I already wiped, but I went back to a nandroid backup of 2.08.1 that I made just prior to using the UPdater, and all is exactly as it was, so you don't loose anything by wiping if you have a current nandroid backup, at leaast as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I posted on xda about my boot-loop, waiting for a reply. I will let you all know what I hear.

14. mslisaj

It's exactly this kind of feedback that is going to keep me on DC v2.08.1 as that ROM works perfectly for me. While I enjoy working with my phone the reloading of programs, contacts, ect. Is getting very old. v2.08.1 may go down as Damages best Rom.
    Just my opinion.........

Lisa

15. socodef

Little update for everyone.

I downloaded via DcUpdater first and tried to wipe and install from Recovery mode but the file goes into the DCUpdater folder on the SD Card, not straight onto the card. Had to move it out of the folder directly onto the card. I wiped basically everything, did a fresh install, and got stuck in a boot loop. I pulled the battery, and pulled my SD Card, booted and it loaded everything up just fine. I lost my programs, but that may have been the result of upgrading my Recovery Image. I've seen that just updating it from DCUpdater has worked fine.

After the boot loop situation, it's installed and is running just fine. I've had a couple application problems that required me to Uninstall the program and then redownload it. All other aspects are functioning 100%.

There is a DC Config program that Damage installed, and in here you can remove the sprint bloatware, IE Nascar, Navigatation, etc. You can also remove other programs and can tweak the phone in here.

Other than that, all my contacts synced, FB synced, I'm getting all my texts/emails/calls.

If anyone has any questions they want answered in more depth, just ask and I can do a more thorough explanation.

16. JB in AZ

socodef. Thnaks for update. I am now trying to reflash it yet again, after wiping. I am not able to wipe ext, as it gives me an error something like wipe from adp. I don't know how to do that. Anyway, the screen now just says "NOW", and i am waiting...

EDIT: I just booted into the ROM I think! I see the lock screen!

EDIT#2 YES! doing the android HTC setup now, will advise on how it works later.

17. socodef

Do you have the newest recovery image?

18. JB in AZ

19. socodef

Just checking. I upgraded mine when I had this problem so I didn't know if that might help. If it boot loops, try pulling the batter, pull your SD card and then power it up.

20. JB in AZ

Thanks! But seems to be workng now, I am re-installing my apps from the market.

21. mslisaj

Okay, so we use the DC updater to download the file. It goes into a folder instead of the root of the SD card, so we move it to the SD card. It's been awhile since I installed v2.08.1 and I was doing it from my laptop. So I forget some of these steps. But I gather you guys are doing it solely from the Hero. I hate to run you all though the explanation of how to do this if there is something I can read on how to do it. You're also talking about a new recovery image? Where do we get that? In Damages LONG thread is there some instructions on how to use the Updater and the DC config program?

Also I was under the impression that you could up date from a DC rom to a DC rom with out the wipe and reload. But reading here that is not possible either. I just wish I didn't have personalized the phone to my liking. That way I could just play and test without having to reload programs, contacts. I think I would love to buy a Hero off Ebay and just play with it to learn all this without the pressure of loosing my phone.

But thanks so much gentlemen for your continued posts on this subject. This is how I learn and it's from reading that I did the root and initial install of this rom.

Keep the info coming..............

Lisa ;)

22. socodef

Lisa,

You can update straight from DCUpdater. Open it up, check for new rom, download and install. That should work. I didn't try it that way because I wanted to wipe everything, which you don't need to do when upgrading the same rom.

Also, when you upgrade, you'll keep all your settings, backgrounds, blah, blah.

Try that, Let me know if you have problems.

23. mslisaj

I was hoping it would be that simple. But then I have to ask why everyone is doing it differently and running into all the problems mentioned here. I so want to believe it's that simple. You can bet I would make a couple Nandroid backups and store them off the phone in case I ran into problems.

Also I something that hasn't been addressed here and I think the gentleman that started this thread asked was what exactly is the difference between .08 and .09?

May I ask you, if you had a perfectly working phone without any of the problems that others are having with what ever version of 2.1 they are running, would you make the move to DC 2.09.0?

Thanks for taking your time to respond to my redundant questions.........

Lisa :)

24. socodef

I actually started the thread, and basically the reason I upgraded is the same reason all of us root our phones. We want them bigger, better, faster, stronger. 2.08 was based off of an earlier version of the Hero 2.1 Rom from Sprint. 2.09 is based off of the official release. It should have better performance, better stability, etc. because this is what every Sprint HTC Hero owner has. We just have a tweaked version of it.

Since Damage put up his first 2.0 or 2.1 Rom, I've been just upgrading. I've never had a problem doing it. I have a feeling my problem was with the way my card was partitioned or something along that.

You should be fine to do an upgrade. If you don't feel comfortable and want to stay with 2.08, by all means go for it. I'm just personally a fan of the newest and best stuff I can get my hands on.

Hope that helps..

mslisaj likes this.
  25. mslisaj

Well I must say I am a fan too of the newest, greatest and fastest too. That is why I did the root and upgrade. I have never looked back since I put DC's rom on and one of the main reasons I used his rom was it was solid and had the upgrade capabilities. I have just gotten cold feet since hearing all the problems folks have had. I gather we don't here from the ones that have successfully upgraded as they don't have any problems. I personally have tried to post my successes to allay any fears of folks to follow my footsteps. DC's .08 rom has been a very pleasant success story for me and I love it. But as I mentioned it's been reading about "issues", for example just in this thread alone that makes me nervous. So I will make a couple of back ups and give it a try. I can always go back. As I mentioned, I would love to run the latest and greatest but I don't have an unlimited amount of time to spend making it work.

Thanks again for your help, encouragement and support. We'll give it a try and I'll report back............

Lisa