Dangerous to use a 2.0A charger with the Incredible?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The output on the OEM charger is 5V at 1.0A. Would it be safe to use my 2.0A at 5V iPad charger with the phone? I don't want to carry around two USB chargers if possible.

I imagine the charging circuitry on the phone wouldn't provide it with excess current but wanted to be sure. I did it for a few minutes and it seems to work fine but just wanted to make sure.

Advertisement
  2. INTREPID-NY

INTREPID-NY Well-Known Member

I've read that the phone will draw whatever current it needs to charge the batteries, so using the higher amp charger shouldn't be a problem since it simply won't draw all of that power. Think of it this way: Amps are pulled from the charger, not pushed to the phone. Voltages are pushed to the phone, not pulled from the charger.
    By the way, all usb chargers are set at 5v and your computer's usb port will output at 500mA (1/2 amp) max. So using a lower amp charger down to 500mA is also ok.

FlyPenFly likes this.
  3. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

Amperage is drawn not pushed so yes it will be fine. You could use a 5v source with the capability of providing any amount of amperage as long as it exceeds what is required by the phone. Where it becomes and issue is when there is a short of some sort that causes less resistance and higher drain which will allow for more a potentially more destructive failure.

Edit:
    -----guess I should have read the post above mine which says the same exact thing------