• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dark Transparent screen over android background

Asghar Baba

Lurker
Feb 16, 2015
Hey everyone
I've a Lenovo A3300-GV tablet with android v. 4.4.2
Recently I've come across a problem.
A dark, transparent screen covers almost the whole device screen, except for a narrow bar where back, show background and toggle tabs buttons are located (near the bottom of screen). The dark screen is removed once I restart the device, but only for a few minutes before I run any apps. It darkens the device when I'm running an app, etc.
I recently updated the device to v. 4.4.2 but it didnt fix it.
I couldnt find an answer in google, but maybe I phrased my question wrongly.
anybody ever had this problem?

Double check auto brightness isn't active, it's unlikely that's the issue, but it's worth giving it a go anyway.

Also, can you take a screenshot of the tab whilst it's dark (pressing power and volume down on most devices will do this), if it's still dark in the screen shot, it's a software issue, if the screen looks normal, you've most likely for a faulty screen and you'll need to see about getting it replaced.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Thank you for your response.
The change in the brightness doesnt seem to affect the problem.
Here is a screenshot I took.
screenshot-2015-02-16-19-30-21.png

what's to do?

Upvote 0
Hmm that's well strange. You don't have like a screen filter app installed do you?
If not all I can suggest is a factory reset ;(

Yeah, you don't a filter apps installed, or any app with the permission Display System Level Alerts/Other Applications UI?

If no, as funky suggests, go for a factory reset. It's not the best thing to have to do, but at least the screen isn't broken.

Upvote 0
Thank you both very much, but isn't a factory reset sort of a last resort?
What if I reset it and the problem persists/returns?
I think I'll dig deeper, when it comes to android, I'm a noob myself, any forums you would suggest? (apart from this one obviously)
Apart from the oldest dedicated Android-only forum?

I don't have a suggestion other than I'm sure you can get an answer you like elsewhere rather than one that may actually work.

Good luck with your problem, hope you get it sorted.

Upvote 0
Well I thanked both of the contributors very much, that's about all the appreciation than can be shown in a forum, but it's not like a factory reset wasn't the very first thing that came to my own android noob mind. I thought I could get some answers and actually learn something in the oldest dedicated android only forum.
anyway I'm not trolling hear I was just asking.

Upvote 0
You could try XDA Developers forum site (although you may find it hard to navigate, get some very snarky "noob" remarks only to get the same solution) .
You're right that factory reset is a last resort but other than having a permanently dim display, I think it's your only option and if it doesn't work then your phone is defective.

One other thing you could try is booting into "safe mode" and see if the problem is still there. (you'll have to Google how to boot safe mode on your phone)
If the problem is gone in safe mode then it's an installed app causing it (which a factory reset will remove unless you can figure out which app is causing it) good luck mate :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
From your Phone A3300 MENU, look for Power Management Icon that looks like green battery icon then open it. Select tools then Protective Glasses on upper right then click disable. Once its disable the button will change to enable. From there you can go back on the main phone screen and you must no longer see the dark transparent screen. Good luck!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-15-04-20-31.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-15-04-20-31.png
    45 KB · Views: 728
  • Screenshot_2015-05-15-04-20-01.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-15-04-20-01.png
    813.4 KB · Views: 702
Upvote 0
From your Phone A3300 MENU, look for Power Management Icon that looks like green battery icon then open it. Select tools then Protective Glasses on upper right then click disable. Once its disable the button will change to enable. From there you can go back on the main phone screen and you must no longer see the dark transparent screen. Good luck!
hi, good evening i have the same issue with the darkened screen.. where should i find the Power Management Icon? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I had the same horrible problem on my Lenovo tab. I considered factory reset, but this forum helped me find the solution. Here it is in detail for Lenovo tab:
1) Swipe down from the left top of the screen (notification area)
2) Notice the Endurance notification.
3) To the right of Endurance there is a small pair of sunglasses.
4) Touch the sunglasses to toggle.

I have no idea why anyone would want this annoying "feature" in Android. I hope they see the light (pun intended) and get rid of this feature bloat.

Reactions: kayT99
Upvote 0
Thanks from the bottom of my heart to johngerry. I was almost ready to reset to factory settings when you told me to look at the Endurance notification. I always wondered what that was for. Apparently I bumped the "sunglasses" at some point and my screen got so dark I thought my vision was going! Also have to thank Asghar Baba for his OP as the clear description of my exact problem led me to this thread. You Guys Rock!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones