• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Darts game

Through the theft of my words (???), I realized I never posted the fair review I requested of this app. So here's the skinny:

Droid Darts is a well written take on pub darts using the accelerometer to aim and touchscreen to throw. It includes several dart games such as X01, Around The Clock, Cricket, Baseball and Shanghai. Since I was just beta testing for BNA, only the X01 was enabled so I can't give any feedback on the other variations.

To be honest, I'm not the greatest dart player and am not familiar with the different games. X01, as it's called in the app, is a simple version where you start with a number of points (301, 501, 701, 901) and throw darts to reduce your points to exactly 0. No doubling out (maybe that's cricket). Holding your phone flat on its back will get you closest to the bulls-eye but you have to contend with wind and adjust your aim accordingly. One may question how realistic wind is in a pub/bar situation but I feel this is a necessary mechanic or you could too easily find the best phone positioning and rack up points from there. Purists can disable wind if desired.

I found the game an interesting mix of easy and hard. It's pretty easy to dial your aim to get bulls-eyes, not move the phone and just keep throwing. What is difficult is aiming for anything other than the center because it's not easy to figure out how to rotate the phone to get an off-axis number like 18 or 14. Practice is your best friend.

The beta version I tested was only single player and I'm not sure if the full version allows for multiple players or not. I feel multiplayer would be an important piece to this game, particularly if the phone needed to be passed from person to person because it would eliminate holding the phone perfectly still and repeating good throws.

My only real gripe is the lack of tension in the game. Winning is just a matter of throwing until you hit exactly 0 and there is no penalty for missing beyond doing it over (and lowering your score). Perhaps a computer opponent would add some drama to the game by forcing you to work on your accuracy to hit zero before the computer. As long as it were balanced (perhaps with multiple computer skill levels), it might add excitement to this fun but non-tense game.

Reactions: BNA
Upvote 0
Through the theft of my words (???), I realized I never posted the fair review I requested of this app. So here's the skinny:

Droid Darts is a well written take on pub darts using the accelerometer to aim and touchscreen to throw. It includes several dart games such as X01, Around The Clock, Cricket, Baseball and Shanghai. Since I was just beta testing for BNA, only the X01 was enabled so I can't give any feedback on the other variations.

To be honest, I'm not the greatest dart player and am not familiar with the different games. X01, as it's called in the app, is a simple version where you start with a number of points (301, 501, 701, 901) and throw darts to reduce your points to exactly 0. No doubling out (maybe that's cricket). Holding your phone flat on its back will get you closest to the bulls-eye but you have to contend with wind and adjust your aim accordingly. One may question how realistic wind is in a pub/bar situation but I feel this is a necessary mechanic or you could too easily find the best phone positioning and rack up points from there. Purists can disable wind if desired.

I found the game an interesting mix of easy and hard. It's pretty easy to dial your aim to get bulls-eyes, not move the phone and just keep throwing. What is difficult is aiming for anything other than the center because it's not easy to figure out how to rotate the phone to get an off-axis number like 18 or 14. Practice is your best friend.

The beta version I tested was only single player and I'm not sure if the full version allows for multiple players or not. I feel multiplayer would be an important piece to this game, particularly if the phone needed to be passed from person to person because it would eliminate holding the phone perfectly still and repeating good throws.

My only real gripe is the lack of tension in the game. Winning is just a matter of throwing until you hit exactly 0 and there is no penalty for missing beyond doing it over (and lowering your score). Perhaps a computer opponent would add some drama to the game by forcing you to work on your accuracy to hit zero before the computer. As long as it were balanced (perhaps with multiple computer skill levels), it might add excitement to this fun but non-tense game.

Great review.

In my opinion X01 games are a bit boring, others like around the clock or shanghai are much more exciting becouse you have to change the aim position every time.

I am working to include multiplayer options but it is diffucult XD.

At this moment you can send your score online and be the best darts player in the world.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones