• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root data and cache wipe

Jul 26, 2010
I'm considering installing a rom and I've heard that doing a data and cache wipe is the proper thing to do to ensure success. What I'm concerned about is how easy it is to restore/re-do all of your settings like ringtones, notification settings, app settings etc. How long does it usually take you to set up your phone again after installing the new rom?

You can use MYBackupPro to store system settings, SMS/MMS, call log, etc. If you use Launcher Pro, you can back up your homescreen icons (minus widgets). Titanium Backup can backup all your app data. After logging into Google, it'll take about 5 minutes to sync everything back up. Add to that the TiBU and MyBackup restores, you're at about 7-10 minutes.

EDIT: Nandroid Backup your phone BEFORE flashing anything! That way if things go south for some reason, you have something to fall back on. Once you have the phone set up the way you want it on the new ROM, back it up again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones