data and phone same time on sprint 3G?

Last Updated:

1. mattkilla420

mattkilla420 Active Member This Topic's Starter

while i was at the sprint store the other day playing around with an evo i asked an employee if i could use talk and data on sprint while in 3g at the same time and he assured me i could. this came surprising because i had always thought that sprint was like verizon and could not do it. the evo was on 4g and i did not know how to turn it off to 3g so can anyone confirm or deny this?

also i posted some other questions in my intro post but not alot of people there so maybe it could be answered here

i had a couple questions that i could not find googling

possible ways to record different voicemals for different contacts?

possible ways to have volume on but calls for certain numbers such as blocked or restricted incoming calls could be silenced or just have my favorite contacts ring while all others not? thanks

Advertisement
  2. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

on 3g no...on 4g yes

3. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

Can't speak for the evo but with my pre the only way to do voice and data is if you're connected to wifi.

4. Biggest Fro

Biggest Fro Well-Known Member

Sprints CDMA network only allows either talking on the phone, or data. It's a restriction of the Network, not of Sprint.

4G uses a different radio, and therefore can be used while talking on the phone.

I believe you can also use data and talk while using Wifi (as previously posted).

5. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

On 3G - you can surf, get a call and the green bot kicks you out of your browser into the phone mode. While in the phone mode you can go back to your browser and surf some more while the caller is still on the line and probably thinking you're listening in silence. Finish your browsing and go back to phone mode where she's still yapping about yesterday's Glee. :)

6. mattkilla420

thanks guys thats what i thought just a bit disappointed that sprint told me otherwise. still getting an evo and ill have 4g around me where i live now so i can do it. the only thing i really liked about my att is the ability to do voice and data same time. for me i have used it alot.

7. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

So - you still wanna know what happened on Glee ....

8. asaberan

asaberan Well-Known Member

I don't see why people want this feature so badly. Is it really that big of a deal to do both at the same time?

9. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

You can talk on EVDO (3g) and use data on Wifi or Wimax at the same time but not both on 3g. I have yet to try this out since I never have the need. My friends and all works such random and different hours that we typically email and text because it's easier to get back to someone when you are free. Phone calls require you to drop what you are doing. Obviously they have their place but much of our casual communication just uses data.

10. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

If you have Google Voice you can do that. If you don't have it you'll have to apply for an invite (not sure how long they are running now).

mattkilla420 likes this.
  11. mattkilla420

i use it alot. many friends still dont have a smartphone and it comes in so handy when the person talking to needs directions or to find something quick on the web. also while you have gps on in the car and you get a call i want to be able to be on the call and still have the maps progressing. not a problem any more since i have a stand alone gps now but sill. pulling things like new email while on a call comes in handy also.

thanks alot i will look more into this.

12. neodorian

Google Voice is sweet. I actually just got finished setting my Sprint account to forward voice mail to GVoice. You can also get it to have certain callers ring specific phones or all or none. I personally just have my GVoice number set up to ring my cell and my office phone. Makes it easy to give out one number that isn't my personal cell line. You get all calls and voice mails recorded in a Gmail-like website for easy browsing and filing.

13. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

Folks, I just confirmed this..

You can NOT get 3G when you are on the phone. In fact, I couldn't get a web page to load (I guess no concurrent EVDO either), or else maybe it was just rediculously slow.

14. neodorian

3G *is* EVDO. They never claimed you could do this. In fact, they specifically said that while using the traditional 1x/Ev radio to talk on the phone, you could only use data via Wifi or Wimax.

15. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

I meant like 1xRTT, not the broader EVDO spectrum, sorry. Also, I agree, they never said you could (except 4G) and I never expected it to, but someone asked so I figured I'd try and put this issue to bed once and for all.