Data cap - anyone ever been restricted?General

Last Updated:

1. magohn

magohn Well-Known Member

Hi all
    Seeing as we are supposed to have our data throttled over 2.5gig, I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone. Is it enforced?

2. youngSWi

youngSWi Well-Known Member

I use wayyyy over that. Around 1-2 gb a day and no message ever or any noticeable throttle.
  3. clc130

clc130 Well-Known Member

How in the world are you using 1-2 gb a day? Streaming music/vids?
  4. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

I did every month that I owned my Triumph, never since I activated the Evo on launch day.
  5. Kamau

Kamau Well-Known Member

My speeds are so slow normally that I can't tell the difference.
    Example, it takes 15 to 20 minutes to download a 5 gig app, using 3g.
  6. hchen42

hchen42 Well-Known Member

If you are on Evo V 4G, there are probably no restriction. On one special day, I used over 10 GB of data . VM didn't notify me nor restrict my speed. Both 3G/4G stay at their normal speed (up to 2mbps on 3G and 14mbps on 4G). Other than that special day, my avg daily data usage is probably at 50 MB (some Pandora, email, light browsing).
  7. magohn

magohn Well-Known Member

Exactly - on the Triumph this would be true as 3g was very slow for me. However, on the Evo I get fairly strong 4g and can hit 9mbps download speeds.

I ask because I use the Dish Network streaming app for live TV. It has a Standard and High Setting. On High I get super-clear picture and audio but the amount of data used would have me going over the 2.5gb threshold in no time.

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds as if we wont be throttled - perhaps its something to do with the minimum plan for the Evo being $35?
  8. Kahroo

Kahroo Well-Known Member

I don't seem to be getting throttled (Like I did when I used my LG OV) and I have used more then 2.5GBs of 3G Data.

Oh and 4G is unthrottled.
  9. youngSWi

I download a lot. I even use bit torrent on my phone.
  10. youngSWi

It is throttled unless you hack the 4g.
  11. koopakid08

koopakid08 Well-Known Member

Virgin doesn't seem to be throttling us evo users, it might have something to do with it being on Sprint before and its stuck or something.

Just don't abuse this and maybe it'll stay this way for awhile.
  12. magohn

magohn Well-Known Member

Deciphering Virgin Mobile New Plans (wimax) - | DSLReports Forums

When and how will data speed reduction affect my 3G/4G $35 and $55 Broadband2Go plan?

If you use over 10GB of 4G data during your monthly cycle, your 4G data speeds may be reduced to 256kbps or below for the rest of that monthly plan cycle. During this time, you may experience slower page loads and file downloads, and lags in streaming media. Data speeds will return to normal as soon as your next plan month starts.
  13. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Not really relevant, that's for their standalone broadband services.
  14. imabitfighty

imabitfighty Well-Known Member

your all talking about being throttled, I just wish my service worked at home..

I got 2.5MBs DSL internet/wifi at home that my evo connects to. its good enough for bworsing but not netflix or gaming. I get NO 3g or 4g service from inside my house. constantly missing texts and calls. important ones for work too.

as soon as I walk to either end of the street though I get full signal and my 4g speeds are like 6-10MBs.... i wish i lived just 200 feet to the left of where I am now. Id be tethering and rocking some fast internet!

sad panda :(
  15. magohn

magohn Well-Known Member

Yep - your correct. Then I guess Iwill just have to use the phone as I want and see if/when I cut-off. :)

Im not being silly with usage but if I stream at work (Pandora) and use the Dish Network streaming app I will get over 2.5gb in a week!

Thanks all.
  16. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Well-Known Member Developer

If you check your account on Virgins page, they aren't tracking Evo V data.

Without tracking they can't throttle.
    sunnyrt likes this.
  17. Spritey

Spritey Well-Known Member

Welp, time to start using more data!