Data Charges

Last Updated:

1. kernow999

kernow999 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

I am lucky enough to be going to USA soon but do not want to be charged for data charges etc. What is the best way to close donwn anything that may cause me to be charged, please?
    I would like to keep wi-fi running

Thank you

Advertisement
  2. walkinhotdog

walkinhotdog Well-Known Member

I think as long as in settings>wireless controls>mobile network is unticked and in mobile network settings>data roaming and enable always-on mobile networks is unticked, then your fine. Thats the settings i have since i have no data plan and only use wifi, never been charged for data.

3. kernow999

kernow999 Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you. Much appreciated.

4. MF1

MF1 Well-Known Member

Hi, can you explain the difference to me on Mobile Network and Data Roaming. I have Mobile Network ticked but when I go to settings I see Data Roaming is not ticked. Yet I seem to get emails etc when not on WIFI. Would be good to know the difference is anyone can help :rolleyes:

5. walkinhotdog

walkinhotdog Well-Known Member

Mobile network is using your own service provider to get data. Data roaming would be using data from a different service provider that is not yours, which can be costly. Your phone should only use data roaming if you are not getting any reception from your own provider, eg going to a different country. Pretty sure thats how it works but feel free to correct me if im wrong.