data comparisonSupport

Last Updated:

1. fawnsy

fawnsy Member This Topic's Starter

hi everyone I'm after some info about data use, was just wondering if using the stock browser on a smartphone like the htc desire uses more data than say a Sony Ericsson c902 in other words if I was to look on the same web page on both phones will the android smartphone use more data than a average Sony Ericsson

Advertisement
  2. MajorProbes

MajorProbes Well-Known Member

No as its whatever your loading on the page that dictates the "data" :)

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

maybe, the desire would load it as you see it on a pc, where as an older phone may make images smaller for instance.

4. fawnsy

thanks lekky, so your saying the desire could use more data ? but if I load all the pages in mobile view on the desire it should be the same

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

maybe, I'm not too sure. Why does it matter that much? The difference must be negligible. Just use 3G watchdog if you want to keep track on how much data you are using.

6. fawnsy

well I used to have a Sony Ericsson c902 and I never went over my data plan with that phone and since iv had the desire iv used opera mini but found some problems with it so a couple ov times iv used the stock browser but it kills my data and been warned by o2 so always go back to opera hence why the question about the comparison, I also use 3g watchdog thats how I know the stock browser uses a lot

7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

What plan are you on with o2? Are they making you have pretty much what the Iphoners have?

8. fawnsy

I'm on a 600 mins, unlimited texts and and unlimited web and wi-fI with a fair usage policy of 500mb, 2 months ago I got a text off o2 saying I had gone over 500mb and if I did this 3 times they would change my plan or start charging me for how much I use

9. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I didn't think they were doing that FUP of 500MB to anyone other than the iphoners. When did you sign up? I guess I was lucky to get in before that. 500MB is noway near enough.

Sorry to hear that. check all your Update frequencies etc and try lowering them too.

10. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

what are you doing on your phone then, how much do you browse a day and does this include lots of pics and vids? If not you shouldn't be going over that limit.

Do you use your wifi when at home?

11. fawnsy

I had a Sony Ericsson on a 2 year contract and then upgraded to the desire in may for another 2 years, I thought I had just upgraded b4 the new data rules had come in then I got this text off o2 saying I had gone over 500mb

12. fawnsy

I browse a fair bit but I hardly look Av pics or videos its things like reading news and sport and looking Av forums, reading emails off hotmail and stuff like that. I use 3g watchdog and I work out how much data each day I should be using going off the 500mb so I rarely go over my daily allowance but when I used the stock browser for about 5 mins I used about 4 mb compared to less than 2mb on opera

13. master_yoda

master_yoda Well-Known Member

Another tip, be carefull what webpage you leave the stock browser on when you exit it.

It seems to refresh or continue downloading data after you have stopped using it. I always go to my homepage 'google' before exiting, this seems to stop any extra data being used.

500mb should be enough if your not streaming music or watching video online.