Data connection not workingSupport

Last Updated:

1. coho

coho New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there,

I just got my new unlocked desire about a month ago and so far its been great!
    the only problem i had so far was this phone i bought it brand new unlocked from pacific mall :( and the data connection doesn't seem to connect to rogers. I got the new promo for 6gb a month.

any clues why it wouldn't work? any help would be appreciated :)

Advertisement
  2. Geological1

Geological1 Member

I am totally new to this but unlocked and rooted are two diferent things and you may need to be rooted if it was originally on another provider.

Other than that all I can think of is to check your network settings.

Only on Android for 2 days now :D

3. coho

Hey,

If I were to root it, would it fix it? and what does rooting allow? And what if I screw something up doing the rooting, if I were to factory restore it, will it fix it up?

This is because for some reason, if I specify a APN connection (rogers one), it works however, terribly slow. However, if I don't specify it. it doesn't work. Could it be because it wasn't unlocked properly?

4. kevinf1990

kevinf1990 Well-Known Member

if the phone is unlocked then you can just enter in your network settings in and it should work. no need for rooting. if it is slow after you enter your apn settings then it could just be you're not in a 3g area. what letter does it show next to your signal bars (G, E, 3g, 3g+, or H)?

5. MajorProbes

MajorProbes Well-Known Member

You've got nothing to lose by trying it (unless you have a warranty that doesnt allow you to root) Ive never encountered the issues you are having, but there is a chance its the network provider settings. Could be worth giving them a call first?

6. coho

thanks for the quick reply people.

kevinf1990 -> Right beside my signal bars, it displays nothing. So i would assume it is only 2g?

I'm going to give them a call to see whats up and why I have a flaky device (possibly), if not, I will try rooting it or try a new unlock code and see if its better.

Hopefully that does the trick, :S