Data connection problem(EDGE or GPRS)Support

1. SaM003

SaM003 Member

I have got a Samsung Galaxy Apollo(I5801) with 2.1.
    The GPRS connection was working all well and good alongwith a proper wifi connection. But that was until recently when the GPRS/EDGE connection stopped responding.
    As in, my phone connects and runs perfectly when wifi is available. But in case of EDGE connection, the symbol is being displayed on the notification bar and certain apps like urban dict, droid proxy are working in this connection but dolphin browser HD or any other browser, history app etc aren't working(Shows no network access)....
    So what might be the problem exactly please suggest me a way out.....

Advertisement
  2. pflorin

pflorin Member

did you install any app that works as a firewall??? like droidwall
  3. SaM003

SaM003 Member

I dont know exactly but how am i supposed to check if there is a firewall at work?? and just in case i've never tried droidwall...
  4. pflorin

pflorin Member

check your APN settings go to Settings - Wireless & network - Mobile networks - and check if there is a APN set there if not you have to set an APN for your local network provider. and then reboot the phone for setttings to work.
  5. barqers

barqers Well-Known Member

Yes, check your APN settings, but also check that you're not specifically set to GSM or WCDMA mode. Set it to auto.
  6. SaM003

SaM003 Member

Thanks but I've definitely tried that...
    Read about it in the other posts.
    But can you suggest any other way??
    I can specifically find the problem persisting in case of browsers.
    Any browser I install works fine on wifi but no response in case of gprs.
  7. barqers

Well you wouldn't have a firewall installed unless you purposely installed one.

It may sound weird but maybe the browsers aren't allowing you to use them on EDGE since it's such a slow platform. I've never personally tried it though.
  8. SaM003

SaM003 Member

Yes that might be entirely possible.
    But how do i know which app is acting as a firewall?
    As in can I post a log of my apps and then you can tell me about it???
  9. barqers

Well I'm not sure if you'd have a firewall type app installed. But if you install an app called "Listables" and post your app list here we can go through it :p

Have you tried Opera mini 6 browser?
  10. SaM003

SaM003 Member

Yup will try that...
    But another thing i noticed today was that my phone is showing low memory space even if there's enough...
    And then after sometime that notification disappears. Is this some sort of malware at work or what??
  11. barqers

Nope it just means that Android is keeping applications in your RAM. Once it gets low on memory it clears it up from the programs that aren't being used. I get the message too sometimes.
  12. SaM003

SaM003 Member

Couldn't wait any longer...
    Backed up everything and did a factory reset...
    And now everything is back to normal...
    Thanks for the support though :)
    I suppose I can't wait any longer for the official release of Froyo for Apollo
    and am planning to go rooting and I suppose there would be enough support to find around here... :D
  13. barqers

Yes also check XDA Forums, here's the link:
    Galaxy 3 Android Development - xda-developers

There's a new custom ROM being developed by some really good G3 developers. It's called Apocalypse. Be sure to check that out when you plan on upgrading :p