Data connection problems - Hardware?

Last Updated:

1. riverboat2001

riverboat2001 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

I posted similar but didn't get any replies, so perhaps phrased different might get a different response.

In a nutshell, in my workplace, i have used a Nokia N73/N95/N97 with 3uk monthly contract. Both Data and phone connections have been great, with watching iplayer streams and surfing web posing no problems at all.

Now i have the HTC Desire, using the same sim.

I know there is a good strong 3uk connection here as i can watch both youtube and iplayer streams fine on my laptop using my dongle.

However on the HTC Desire i pretty much only get a G connection, with the voice signal saying roaming (to Orange) i think.

If i go into the "Wireless and Networks" settings, and change the mobile network mode to WCDMA only, i then get the H icon, but it doesn't get any arrows up and down under it when i try to connect.

Whe the signal "drops" down to 3G the connection is perfectly fine for both surfing and downloading.

HOWEVER, it keeps changing between H 3G and dropping out altogether.

So then i have to re-enable GSM/WCDMA to auto, and i'm back to the roaming connections again. AND the big problem with this (data speed aside) is that when there IS a G data connection in use, all calls are rejected.

Is this a hardware issue? or can a later firmware update sure this.

Failing that, apart from buying a mifi dongle to share my laptop connection, is there anything i can do?

Advertisement