Data connection required for MMS messaging?Support

Last Updated:

1. garybeck

garybeck Well-Known Member

I have my data connection disabled, and I just tried to send my first MMS message. It has said "sending...." for at least 15 minutes now and the recipient has not received it. just a photo attached. Do I need to have an active data connection to send MMS?

Advertisement
  2. greg4android

greg4android Well-Known Member

YES, data is required to send a text message.

Why is your data connection disabled?

3. FullWolfMoon

FullWolfMoon Member

If they're using a Wi-Fi connection it can drain the battery to have 3g on and so they might have it disabled for this reason. I always turn 3g off when I'm using Wi-Fi.

And you can send and receive text messages over Wi-Fi, but from my experience, not picture messages, 3g has to be turned on for that to work.
  4. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I've never been able to send sms or mms without cell signal despite a wifi connection.
  5. melim

melim Disabled

Turn off your 3G and have someone send you a text.

MMS yes, SMS no.
  6. ILuvJapan

ILuvJapan New Member

I just received a SMS with data and wifi off. The MMS needs data connection.
  7. smankins

smankins Well-Known Member

Data is not required to send/receive a text message, as others have said - just a cell signal. Data is required to send/receive MMS. I think there are some text message Apps that will use WiFi for text messaging, though. WhatsUp might be one, not sure.