Data dropsSupport

1. Droidianslip

Droidianslip Member

Ok got this phone up and running. Now I'm getting the samevdata drop issue I had on my charge. 4G drops to no g and data connectionerror message often with 4 of 5 bars for cell service. This has to be an issue with the 4 g authentication. Any one else have this problem?

Advertisement
  2. IMUcarmen

IMUcarmen Well-Known Member

I never have. I get stable 4g with one bar of service. Since you are having issues with 2 different phones it's either the 4g in your area is having issues. Or some app you are using is causing an issue.
  3. ofHATEandENVY

ofHATEandENVY Well-Known Member

Are you using the same sim card?
  4. Droidianslip

Droidianslip Member

Yes, I'm going to call them again today and probably get a new one. Heard that it didn't cure the problem, but will give it a whirl
  5. IMUcarmen

good point OHAE. I didn't even think of that.
  6. TheBigKahuna

TheBigKahuna Well-Known Member

I need to take my phone in and see if they'll swap out the SIM card. I can't stay connected to ANY data signal for more than a few seconds. It renders the Spectrum practically useless unless I"m on wi-fi.
  7. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

^ Yea, I'm starting to think I too have that problem. Even with Juice Defender off, I have the hardest time keeping a data connection and it consistently will drop and reconnect. Sound like a sim issue?
  8. IMUcarmen

yuck @ juice defender

I bought the ultimate version of that crappy app a year ago in hopes of improving my battery on my charge. Then I realised it was pointless and did nothing I couldnt do in a couple seconds on my own.

Not to mention I always had data connection problems on my phone with it enabled or disabled. Was only when I completely removed it that things went back to normal.
  9. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

It saves me some juice with the configuration I have, but the data drops occurred before I even installed it, so I think there's other issues at work with my phone.
  10. Droidianslip

Droidianslip Member

Well got back from the VZW store with a new SIMM card, still drops data, so it must be a local tower or a network problem.

Interesting the VZW rep noticed I had Lookout installed and she said that was probably my problem. I uninstalled it and that didn't help at all.
  11. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Nah, lookout is benign... it's a passive scan system that only looks for issues when you install apps and when you manually scan your phone. There are others, however, that can interfere with the operation of apps if it scanner finds what it deems 'questionable' code.
  12. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

Sounds like a sim issue. My Gnex did that for a while, finally had enough and went into VZW and they put a new one in and havent had a problem since. My old sim also used to tell me it was invalid.
  13. finndo77

finndo77 Well-Known Member

Not to thread Jack, but check out phone weaver to replace juice defender
  14. Droidianslip

Droidianslip Member

I know she was an idiot
  15. ofHATEandENVY

ofHATEandENVY Well-Known Member

SIM controls data flow on 3G and 4G , so two different phones manufactured by two different companies, with only one thing in common, points towards the SIM.
  16. Droidianslip

Droidianslip Member

Well two different phone and two different sim cards and no difference. I love people who comment withoutvreading the whole thread.

Sim is used for encrypted I'd on 4g only. A 3g phone or at least my og droid didn't have one.

It is a network problem!
  17. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Lol he works for vz, so he kinda knows what he's talking about. ;-)
  18. Droidianslip

Droidianslip Member

:hoboy:
  19. Droidianslip

Droidianslip Member

Well, spent the last 1/2 hour on the phone with Customer support my 5th call in as many days. The tech I spoke with had a Spectrum in his hand and was experiencing the same data drops I was and god knows where he was located. We looked at the signal strength -105dbm on 4g, -75 on 3g. He was going to put in a network trouble ticket to look at why the signal strength was so bad, but realized my local tower is within 1/4 mile (three within 1/2 mile). There have been no other network signal strength problems reported in this are, conclusion was to replace the phone a 2nd time, this time with a Droid Razr. I guess if I keep this up I'll get to an 3iii eventually ;)
  20. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

So silly question but are you in a 4g metro area or in the boonies somewhere? I'm in a 4g arket and never encounter what you're describing.
  21. TheBigKahuna

TheBigKahuna Well-Known Member

Same thing here. My 4g is 108dBm and my 1x is 96dBm. But I'm lucky if I can stay connected to ANY data for more than a few seconds at a time. It's constantly in or out, and usually fishing for a signal...even if I had 4 bars a few seconds earlier in the same location. I know a lot of people in my area have complained about spotty date coverage...and I don't doubt the network is crappy. But it's got to be this phone.
  22. Droidianslip

Droidianslip Member

I'm in a solid 4g market in Portland Oregon.

One positive thing, at least I get ICS now :p
  23. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

K, well you have to remember one thing... In cities like Portland and Seattle, the coverage is not as constant as those with fewer hills and more towers. Case in point, when I lived by the airport here in Seattle, I had shit reception, but in other areas, perfect. Verizon has fewer towers here than in the Midwest and east and many are leased... The reception is far less consistent than in those other areas. I live a 1/2 mile from a leased tower and have 2 bars right now... It's just how vz's coverage is in areas outside downtown. I've come to accept that here, whereas my tmobile and att friends don't have this problem.

If you're getting perfect reception in other areas than home, it the tower and coverage, not the phone. But hey, if you can get them to get you new phones, good on ya.
  24. Droidianslip

Droidianslip Member

I'm 800 feet from a tower and only thing in the way of line of site is some cotton wood trees. I guess the leave could be about the right size to scatter the signal as I know a Salal leaf will reflect microwave energy at certain frequencies

I had the Charge for more than a year and only recently started having the data drop problem, about the same time as the FP1 rom came out from VZW. There was a tweek to the rom or radio to deal with 4g authentication and I believe on of the developers I know explained it as a way of cycling the data connection to clear up the authentication problem. One of the first cures to the data drop was to cycle the data connection or use the airplane mode to shut down the data and start it back up. I'm wondering the the current Spec ROM has the same. I've tried that on the Spec and will get data reliabily for a few minutes, then it starts dropping again. I've had data drops on the Charge all over town, downtown N, NW, and SE.

I actually live in Tigard south of downtown about 12 miles out in the flats, there are at least five towers in the area. Coverage in the past has been very good. CDMA or 3g is very reliable, if I set it to that mod I have no problem with data. That defeats the reason why I bought the Charge in the first place, to get 4g. Wife's Inc 2 has not trouble but it is a 3g phone. Daughters iPhone 4s, no problem what so ever, but again 3g device. I sort of think they have a problem problem on the tower, perhaps the array faced this way has too much bird poop on it or a tree grew to tall I don't know

I know one guy from the IRC's that had the Charge and had to go to the Razr to get reliable connection, motorola has been know for better hardware radios for a long time, heck my OG Droid worked 25 miles off shore on a regular basis. I so wanted that phone in 4g - I guess we'll see.
  25. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

The razr definitely has a superior radio and reception. My wife's phone consistently outperforms mine with reception.