Data icons "3G" where is it?

Last Updated:

1. hashmat

hashmat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    After posting my querry in a different thread and not finding an answer I am posting again so that I can get some sence out of it.
    I have un-branded Desire with Orange card in it.I can connect to the internet,albeit slow, but I never get 3G icon lit up in the Status icons.
    IThe icon is available as shown here HTC Desire New User Guide Nimbu
    Does this mean I am not connected to 3G network?and only cennected to slower G network?
    Talked to guys in Orange store,they mumbled something,sounded like they didn't know:rolleyes:
    Does anybody else get the 3G icon lit up
    I have tried to set the phone for WCDMA only but the phone reboots and auto selects GSM/WCDMA option.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Regards.

Advertisement
  2. Banzibarn

Banzibarn Well-Known Member

I get G, 3G and H depending on where i am.

I did read somewhere that some operators have changed these icons to something else. So you only get G? Do you live in a good reception area?

3. hashmat

Thanks for the reply:)
    Yes only ever G and yes I do live in reasonably good reception area,usually 3-4 bars.
    Thanks

4. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

Have you got a 3g Sim?

5. Banzibarn

Thinking about it, a good phone reception doesn't necessarily mean you will have 3G access.

How long have you had the phone, have you travelled around much with it?

6. hashmat

@Hyaset.I am not 100% sure.It did let me access web on my old phone SPV C 600 though and its the same sim.I didn't know that the sim had to be 3G,perhaps I will give Orange a ring.
    @Banz.i see I've had it now for 10-14 days and no I have not travelled much around the country yet with it.
    Thanks for the replies guys

7. hashmat

Just been on the phone to Orange...yes looks like there is 3G sim....they will send me one on Monday.I will report back to see how it went.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

8. m165

m165 Well-Known Member

I have recently got a HTC Desire too, and my previous phone, which used the same sim card as what I use in the Desire, showed 3G connection, yet the Desire isn't showing I'm connected to 3G anywhere at all.

I'm not too sure what to do to get it to show up?

9. czechplastik

czechplastik Well-Known Member

Do you see a 'H' instead? I've seen a lot of people on various forums ask this question.

'H' or HSDPA is above 3G and to my surprise I get pretty good HSDPA coverage in my town.

10. m165

m165 Well-Known Member

Only when I connect to mobile internet.

If I'm not connected to mobile internet, the signal bar doesn't have any other indications, other than the strength. I'm new to android, so I'm not sure if that's how it works? All my previous phones have indicated if the signal is on 3G or 2G when I'm not connected to mobile internet.

11. jw2k

jw2k Member

I'm actually kind of confused by the different icons and types of internet connections available... So like mine almost always says H, which is apparently HSPA, but then occasionally I've seen it say either G or 3G... Which is actually best? I'm on T-Mobile UK btw.

Edit: Oops, just realised someone's already answered that question. So 'H' is best then? Yay :)

12. Banzibarn

When you say mobile internet, are you talking about the "Mobile network" option in settings?

If so, then you won't see any 3G/2G icons if you turn it off....

13. m165

m165 Well-Known Member

Yes, i think so... I'm meaning connected to a data connection

Is there a way to display when you are in a 3G coverage area when you are not connected to a data connection? I guess it's no biggie if not!

14. hermit92

hermit92 New Member

im having the same problem but i have a unlocked mytouch 3g and i have ATT on it and right now it just has the singal bars and no 3g icon. does that mean im connect to 3G? or does the 3G icon only appear when your sending data?

15. andybog

andybog Well-Known Member

As far as I know you will only see a data connection icon if you have turned on 'mobile networking' you won't see it if it's turned off.

The phone will display one of the following when 'mobile networking' is turned on, the list is in speed order (slowest first)

G - GPRS (runs on GSM network)
    E - EDGE (runs on GSM network)
    3G - 3G (runs on WCDMA network)
    H - HSDPA (runs on WCDMA network)

HSDPA is also sometimes called 3.5G or 3G+ or turbo 3G.

16. hermit92

hermit92 New Member

i think i turned it off so i wont get charged cause i dont have a data plan but if i use that optioion to have data running in the backround i think i got charged but i called ATT. so none of the icons that you said show up at all but really im still conected to the GSM network because its a ATT phone right? i made sure to switch from WCDMA to GSM in the *#*#INFO#*#* options

17. womb raider

womb raider Well-Known Member

Bizarrely I don't think I've ever had the 3G icon ever since I got my Desire back in March. 99% of the time I get H, and very rarely will get E or G (which are painfully slow) but never had 3G!

18. hermit92

hermit92 New Member

so those G or E icons should only be there ifs data is being transfered?

19. andybog

andybog Well-Known Member

One of the icons (G, E, etc) will be present if you have 'mobile networking' switched on regardless if data is being sent or not. If data is being sent and/or received the little up (sending) and down (receiving) arrows will light up.