Data in extended network: how much danger?

Last Updated:

1. Coronach

Coronach Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just discovered an area that is in Verizon's "Extended Network" (first time I've found one) that I plan to be frequenting fairly extensively over the next few days. My phone is, by default, not in Data Roaming mode. I was wondering what sort of charges I could incur from normal use (Google Maps, email, light web browsing) if I were to enable Data Roaming when I am in this area. Like I said, it is in Vzw's Extended Network, which I gather is different from using a competitor's network for roaming.

(To see where I'm talking about, go to Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless and input 21740 ... it's a well developed area along the I-81 and I-70 corridors that is inexplicably not covered in The Nationwide 3G Network, go figure)

Also, since most of my life is spent in a 3G area (even my rural house), what's the risk in leaving data roaming on? Assuming that I am just motoring through a dead zone using Google Maps, how much of a bill can I run up?

(Obviously no one can give me precise figures, that's not my point. "I wouldn't worry about it" or "a couple of bucks, maybe" or "OMG are you nuts?" is what I'm going for here :D )

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisement
  2. photoeditor

photoeditor Well-Known Member

Didn't need to look that one up -- it's Hagerstown, Maryland, Washington County. What I did need to look up was who actually has the licenses for that area. Verizon doesn't have a single one for 800MHz or 1900MHz unless they got a 1900MHz license or two out of the Nextwave collapse (they did have licenses in that area). AT&T and US Cellular have the 800MHz licenses for that market.

When 700MHz comes out there will be no holes; Verizon got the big national license that was being auctioned as well as additional local blocks in every market.

Sprint has the full 30MHz of PCS spectrum in that market. I assume neither they nor US Cellular has upgraded yet to EVDO just there.

3. Coronach

So would I incur charges if I data-roamed there?

Thanks,

Mike

4. photoeditor

Probably not, but you'd be waiting a while -- you'd be getting data over 1x, if at all. Run the Verizon coverage locator for the zip code in every different mode to see what's what.

5. JustROLLIN

JustROLLIN Well-Known Member

Yeah, when you see extended network, you are still safe. You are on towers that Verizon is "borrowing" from another company. But, data should still be given to you at no charge. I am 99% certain about that, its been a while since I have sold phones.

6. Coronach

Excellent. Thanks, guys.

7. dcorn

dcorn Well-Known Member

Haha, I went to Wisp yesterday and from the Hagerstown area all the way to the resort I was in data roaming. So much for my Google maps. My friend with his iphone was complaining also that he only had edge. So I can turn on data roaming and not get charged? It'll just be 1x?

8. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I know with every other carrier data roaming is free, and I'm positive it's the same with VZW. You most likely will be on 1xxRTT though because any area with 3G (Evdo Rev A/0) is usually owned by VZW. However, if your using it more then 50% of the month then you will be asked to cut back OR have your contract terminated sans ETF.

9. Theibault

Theibault Well-Known Member

There is no roaming with Verizon. You either have service or you don't domesticaly.

10. CRPercodani

You can definitely roam, I do it every thursday.

11. Theibault

Theibault Well-Known Member

Yes, but you don't get charged for it.

12. photoeditor

Nothing to worry about domestically. Canada is the same rate as Verizon's non-plan rate in the US ($2 a MB). Mexico and elsewhere are a lot more expensive. (Note Canada is also same as US for texting, and actually included in your text plans -- but decidedly NOT included in your voice calling, it's 69 cents a minute).

13. rich_r

rich_r Active Member

Well you may not get any data. I just spent last weekend in an "Extended Network" area and there was no data coverage (fortunately there was free wifi where I was staying).

14. dcorn

dcorn Well-Known Member

When I turned data roaming on via settings, it told me I could 'incur significant roaming charges'. Pay no attention?

15. JustROLLIN

JustROLLIN Well-Known Member

I was under the impression you were in an "extended network" area, not a true "roaming" area. If I were you, I would just call *611 and verify with a cust svc rep. Its a free call, takes 5 mins, and will save you the potentially massive charges if something goes wrong. Plus, then if for some reason you DO get charged and you were told otherwise, there will be documentation on your account.

16. dcorn

dcorn Well-Known Member

True, good point. Well, I had 'data roaming' disabled and I was getting no data connection at all when in this 'extended network' area.

Not that I have to worry too much. I live in the DC/NoVa area so there is 3G pretty much everywhere. It's snowboarding season now, so I'm just wondering for when I go out into the mountains and want to use my Google nav to get directions or find close stuff.

17. CRPercodani

Exactly, thanks for clearing it up. I was pretty sure it was free just like every other carrier (big ones atleast). The only time you wanna be careful is when traveling to Canada or another country with CDMA networks.