Data issueSupport

Last Updated:

1. spasg1

spasg1 Member This Topic's Starter

I like to start off by saying that i have checked if my data plan was shut down and it wasn't.

So here is my issue, it started Thursday night, i'm not sure if it was after i downloaded GBPs Toggle app which i already uninstalled. Here's the thing, my phone started not being able to connect to the internet, lets say i tried accessing twidroid (full bars and 3g icon present) it would say twitter error and wouldn't update the tweets so i said fine its an isolated issue with that app. I tried browsing and all it would do was fill the yellow status bar but the page stays blank, gmaps won't load and android market gives me a "can not connect to server" error. Here is where it gets a bit strange, when i toggle back to 2g it starts working.... for a while, i then toggle back to 3g and it starts working..... for a while, when i switch to wifi it works perfectly fine during the time i have it under wifi. My friend who im in a family plan with also has the G1 and is experiencing this exact issue, it might an isolated problem with our account but im not sure. anybody know of a fix for this or know what causes it or is anybody in the Los angeles area experiencing this aswell? thanks in advance.

edit: im trying to avoid a master reset but if its necessary i guess i'll have to do it.

Advertisement
  2. GODMODE

GODMODE Well-Known Member

This happened to me. Though, I came from a sidekick, and when Tmo switched over my IMEI, the data plan was discontinued, so I had to manually put it back in. This happened overnight... I posted a thread about it, as well. Log into your tmo account, and just check to make sure - if you have already done this, might want to give them a call.

3. bobj

bobj Member

I had this exact same problem all day today - I am in Minneapolis - I was in edge area and in 3g - for a while the internet worked fine and then all of a sudden the pages would look like they were loading (the yellow bar filled) and then I got a blank page. After maybe 20 minutes it would work again and then go back to the problem. Each time I was fully in coverage and saw the edge or 3g icons. I have had this problem as late as 9pm CST - it works fine on wifi -

I am hoping this is an isolated system problem - I am in day 2 of trying out the g1

4. ggoss3

ggoss3 Member

Similiar Issues here in Phoenix, az. I will loose internet connection and it will either randomly come back up at some future date or i have to take battery and sim out to fix. I've contacted customer service they gave me two reasons, one i might need a new sim card (which doesn't make sense, it worked great for one week with no issues) and/or it's because they are working on the network in my(your) area.

I also had the similiar problem where my data plan dropped off, it seems that if you preordered they gave you a free version of it that lasts a week then you gotta get real version on. I had to flash my g1 after that erasing everything to get it to work.

5. zuriakim

zuriakim New Member

I too have noticed this porblem. If I reboot the phone then it works again. I had a blackjack with att and after a while the browser wouldn't load pages on that either until a phone reboot. All other internet features work fine, and the browser works while on WIFI. So maybe its just a glitch on the network side and not the phone.

Else, loves this phone.

6. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

Yep, same thing here in Houston. I've noticed it on 3G more so than EDGE. It also seems to affect the Maps app - I can't get a fix on my location half the time, and it seems to correspond with the times I can't browse the web or access the Market.

I remember when AT&T rolled out 3G here, there were lot's of little problems. But those could be solved by sticking to 2G... That doesn't seem to work in the case of T-Mobile/G1 all of the time.

EDIT: Oh, and my SIM card is BRAND NEW! It came with the phone, which I purchased on Wednesday at a T-Mobile corporate store near Dallas.

7. zuriakim

zuriakim New Member

While I had ATT I was in Dayton, OH. Now in Los Angeles with TMobile. With TMo I got a brand new sim. Is there a way to stick to Edge or 2G? Both for stability and to save battery. I never had to take out the sim to get the pages loading again and it does seem to effect maps and weather also. Cheers.

8. richy240

Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Networks > Use Only 2G Networks

9. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

Im always near a wifi connection, but today for kicks, i decided to use the 3G service. I also confirm that its buggy and sometimes works. i havent contacted Tmobile about it yet. Should i?

10. richy240

YES! We all should, that way they consider it an urgent issue and take steps to fix it quickly.

11. bobj

bobj Member

My data sometimes works and sometimes does not. It does not matter if in 3g or edge. You will see the 3g and/or edge but there will be no internet connectivity. It will be out for sometimes 5 minutes and sometimes 30 minutes - for no apparent reason it just starts working again.

I have seen this issue since last Thursday. I have a new phone with a new sim card. The data plan is active on my account.

My friend just got the phone today and he is having the same problem described - he is also a new account with a new sim card.

I called customer service this morning and they claim to have not heard of the problem. i was told to talk to the PDA internet group (they said this group was set up to handle any data problems). The PDA data group said they did not know of any problems. They said they logg issues based on people calling in.

Everybody needs to call T-mobile to get this issue fixed. I am in day five of my 14 day trial and if it is not fixed by day 14 then I am cancelling the service. I explained to customer service that this issue is well documented on Howard forums, and most all android and T-mobile forums.

Lets all customer service so this gets fixed

12. biohazard53188

biohazard53188 Well-Known Member

I've had the same issue off and on for over a week now. Very annoying.

13. Manacit

Manacit Well-Known Member

I've been having the same issue actually, once or twice now it has just stopped working, I have an EDGE icon and I have bars, it just doesn't work... Then after a bit it starts working again :S

14. themadhatter444

themadhatter444 Member

Yep, I've been having the exact same problem for a solid week or so. Hard resets seem to be the only sure-fire fix for me. Like others, switching to 2g Only works for awhile, but shortly fizzles out regardless.

Quite an annoying issue. I'm a brand new TMo customer and this is getting extremely frustrating. I bought this phone specifically for its ability to utilize the internet in such a remarkable way. Unfortunately, this kills the entire idea.

Anyway, looking forward to a fix in the, hopefully, near future.

15. bobj

bobj Member

I hope everybody is calling customer service every time you have a problem - this is the only way it will get fixed - flood them with calls!!!:p:p:p:p:p:p

16. richy240

Has anyone called CS yet? I am waiting because I installed the update manually... I don't want them to complain that it isn't supported. Anyone try this yet with the manual update?

17. Flatman

Flatman Well-Known Member

I called last night and the G1 rep admitted that the 3g network was being bombarded with all the new customers... They know it's a problem. He admitted I might get a better, more stable connection over 2g only for the time being. :(

amazin1988 likes this.
  18. richy240

MIGHT get better? Also, it's not better over 2G. I'll call them later.

19. richy240

Is anyone seeing MUCH better 3G and EDGE performance? I've been seeing pre-RC29 performance since around 4pm in Houston. Am I the only one, or are others seeing similar results?

I sure hope this lasts! *knocks on wood*