Data off when roaming

Last Updated:

1. ajrr1

ajrr1 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm about to take my Hero overseas for the first time, and having seen loads of people stung with huge roaming charges for data, I want to make sure I don't end up paying anything.
    I have Data Roaming unticked in the Mobile network settings, is there anything else I need to do?

Many thanks
    Alex

Advertisement
  2. JKase

JKase Member

That should be good. I have the HTC widgets for GPS and Data on one of my homescreens and keeping those off should definitely prevent nasty surprises.

Cheers!

3. ajrr1

Thank you, it's good to get a bit of reassurance on this one!
    Bit confused re: data widget (as I can't find this on my phone), and GPS I 'think' just uses GPS satellites, so I assume no data charges for it?

4. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Data widget is the Mobile network on/off widget

[+] -> HTC widget -> Settings -> Mobile network.

Turn this off and you wont get any data usage over your mobile network at all. I tend to use this widget instead of unticking 'data roaming' when abroad cos its easier to switch it on for 5 minutes if you do decide you need a bit of data once in a while (my roaming tarriff isnt *too* cripplingly expensive as long as i'm careful).

GPS is passive, i.e. your phone just 'listens' to the satellites transmissions, and they have no way of knowing whether youre listening or not. So, no data charges at all. However, knowing your exact location in google maps down to the nearest metre isnt that useful if you have a blank map due to no data connection ;)

5. ajrr1

hmm I am on Vodafone too, must check out the roaming charges (this trip is to Croatia so I guess I may get stung more than West EU countries). Thanks for all the tips.

6. walkinhotdog

walkinhotdog Well-Known Member

What settings should i have if i only want to update stuff (weather, etc) and surf the web through wifi? I dont want any accidental data usage. Just strictly use wifi. Should i have data roaming unticked or use that data widget to turn it off? Thanks

7. JKase

JKase Member

Yes, you should have data usage off and switch wifi on whenever you need it. Having wifi on all the time will suck your battery dry really fast.