Data only plan, w/ Android based phone?

Last Updated:

1. LordCthulu

LordCthulu New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trying to find some kind of data only plan. The best I've found is data + other stuff for $30. I'm looking for $20 or less if possible. I don't want texting, voice, email, or any extras, just data. I have a phone that I use to call with, and a google voice #, so I would like to text via gvoice and use my other phone for calling. I've been using an iPhone over WiFi, but it's completely useless outside of my apartment (or somewhere that has wifi, which isn't where I usually go).
    I've read about a $25 android plan from tmo, but I couldn't find it on the site. Does it still exist?
    I don't currently have an android based phone, I intend to sell the iPhone and get one, so any suggestions on that would be nice as well.

Advertisement
  2. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Start by finding a carrier that offers a data only plan. Good luck with it. Most don't these days.

3. LordCthulu

LordCthulu New Member This Topic's Starter

I've looked at every carrier that I know of in the US. Even if I do one of the data+text plans I'll have to use a new number, unless there's a way to forward gvoice stuff to a diff number.

4. Raptor_Jesus

Raptor_Jesus Well-Known Member

This is three years in the making if you actually read this post. Check out this cellphone no-contract "plan" by Ting. You pay at the end of the month depending on the voice, message, and data usage tier you fall under. If you use Google Voice to make the occasional short voice call and text, you could only pay $9 with 100MB of data!

https://ting.com/rates

5. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

6. Raptor_Jesus

Raptor_Jesus Well-Known Member

You can use more than 100MB, you fall under a different tier. It is $6 per phone then add the MB needed below:

100 - $3
    500 - $13
    1000 - $24
    2000 - $42
    3000 - $60

It uses the Sprint network, so you need a compatible Sprint phone. If you use a lot of data and calling, you are better off with Sprint unlimited data and calling or some other cheaper carrier like Virgin Mobile.

You can also use FreedomPop that uses the Sprint network.
    Free Wireless Internet | Free Internet | 4G Wireless Internet - FreedomPop

You can get 500MB for free on 4G. If you don't have 4G, you can pay $4 a month for 3G or $20 for 2GB with 3G. Though sometimes the page starts at a different home page and it offers 4G only plans with $18 for 2GB and $29 for 4GB. I am not sure if they still offer 3G. The downside is you need to buy and ship their hotspot totaling $47. They claim the cost is refundable, minus shipping I assume. You have to carry it around with you and it has a 6 hour battery life.

They also have a sleeve to convert a 3rd generation iPod Touch, which I have, into a "smartphone". The downside is the site claims it is 4G only and you can't use a case such as the Griffin Survivor that I use to protect my iPod against my clumsy fingers. I also would get flak from my parents for signing up for a service.

The also sell a USB modem and a home modem with 1GB free. FreedomPop plans to sell a phone as well.

Sometimes the products are not loaded when you select a plan. This happens less often with Internet Explorer than FireFox.