Data only plans?

Last Updated:

1. Luke99

Luke99 Member This Topic's Starter

does anyone know if rogers has data only plans?

Advertisement
  2. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

I'd like to know this too. You won't be able to if you get one of their phones so bring your own and ask to buy a data only plan SIM. The only thing I can't do is SMS and I wouldn't miss that so a data only plan would suit me well.

3. XBrav

XBrav Well-Known Member

It's an interesting topic. I honestly have never seen such an option, and probably for their own good reasoning.

Basically, if you bought a data plan for $25 a month, you could VOIP all the time.

However, I almost wonder if that Rogers Mobile Internet is compatible with phones, given that it's over 3G

4. vikingisson

It shouldn't be any different than buying their "stick" which is a data only plan over 3G. You'd want the same thing on a SIM. They might not want to do it but is technically possible and since you're paying for the data used (at their insane rates) then I don't see why they wouldn't but for sure you'd have to do it without buying their phone since that restricts your plan choices. You might also be able to get a minimum usage voice plan plus a data plan that is suitable. With all the other devices coming out that use data but are less useful as a phone (imagine holding an iPad up to your ear) then a data only SIM is becoming more common.

5. Luke99

Luke99 Member This Topic's Starter

i sent an email to rogers to ask if they have data only plans and got this response

6. vikingisson

I'm not sure what that means unless it speaks to how you would order a plan. whatever.

I'm looking to have a data only SIM that simply does data instead of voice. I want to pay no more than a normal voice only plan. Between my normal WiFI locations I can easily live within a 500M-1G plan. At less than $30 all in I'd buy it today.

7. vikingisson

I just found another reason to go data only, spam calls. I left Rogers years ago after finding them selling email addresses and getting spam calls. For years with a VoIP number I never got a single unsolicited call except from my bank and they know my number. Today I got an automated call about some prize I won, hung up before finding out how rich I could have been. :)

I'm too spoiled having privacy so these spam calls are disturbing and considering that I'm not in the phone book as far as I know it had to be leaked from Rogers.

They aren't the only ones of course. My buddy keyed in his address (not phone number) at bell.ca to see if the Fibe (deceptive name) service was available. Within two hours he had an unsolicited call from a Bell sweat shop trying to sell the service. His phone service is not via Bell so they had to do an address lookup. Pretty cheesy especially after confirming details and then getting a very different confirmation after calling directly to Bell. He didn't get the service after all.

The service would have to be a lot cheaper before I'd tolerate spam. Don't get me started on their digital cable either... I know how valuable usage data is but I'll not pay the highest rates in the world for abuse like that.