• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data/Phone/Texts Cut Out until restart

bajarunner

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
This happens to me about 1-2 times a week. In areas like my home and office, I get solid 3G coverage. It switches to 4G often as well.

However, there are times when the phone is showing I have full 3G coverage, yet I am unable to browse the internet, make a phone call, or send texts, as the phone feels that it does not have service, even when it is SHOWING it has full service.

I can't tell if its a software issue or what. The only way I can get it to go back to normal is to restart the phone and pull the battery.

Any help or direction? I have pretty much all the standard apps, but it happend to me the 2nd day I had the phone and I hadn't even installed anything.

I've had a similar thing happen to me and I've mentioned it in other threads. It's as if the radios go to sleep and don't wake up unless the phone is rebooted. (I haven't had to pull the battery.) The phone outwardly appears to be normal, but when you try to make a call, it just sits there. It says it's dialing, but nothing happens and you hear nothing. Same goes for data. If I reboot the phone, I'll get my notifications of missed calls, Voice Mails and my email will arrive as everything is back to normal.

It seems to occur if I've had the phone on and either charging or plugged into the desktop dock. I've gotten into the habit of dialing voice mail when I disconnect the charger (or remove it from the dock) to make sure the phone is still awake. Also, I'll dial VM during the day sometimes (if I've had no phone activity) to verify it's still okay. It doesn't happen often, but it has enough that I feel I need to check it.

As for applications, I've tried various power managing things (Juicedefender and others) and originally blamed the problem on them, but I've removed those apps and that didn't eliminate the problem. I don't have anything unusual installed and have cleared off enough of the power robbing widgets I used to use to make sure I have 140mb or more of RAM available. I don't know what to do about it, so I'll keep checking operation during the day and hope the Gingerbread update that I'm confident will ultimately show up will correct it. - MarkC

Update 8/27: I accidently left the phone on last night while on the charger, and it was "asleep" this morning. Rebooted it and it woke up, but this is getting old.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones