Data Plan DifferenceGeneral

Last Updated:

1. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So after reading some other questions on here, I'm still kind of confused about the point of buying the $45 vs. the $30 data plan. What's the benefit of the more expensive one? From what I had understood in the past is that the $45 is if you want your exchange account pushed and synced, which I thought implied that you did not get those exchange features on the $30 plan. One of the big needs I have is that I can get my college e-mails, on an exchange server, pushed/synced to/on my phone.

Advertisement
  2. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Well-Known Member

You don't need to get the $45 package to sync. I think some phones like blackberrys do though.

3. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

I currently sync my phone with exchange sync on a 30$ plan... it's not "push" though, the phone checks every so often, (this is settable more often you have if check the faster your battery dies)

4. mike146

mike146 Active Member

forgive my ignorance as this will be my first smartphone, was waiting for the best. But if 30 is unlimited, what would be the purpose of 45??

5. varaonaid

varaonaid Well-Known Member

6. varaonaid

varaonaid Well-Known Member

VZW used to require it for Blackberry Corporate Exchange feature.

EDIT: Perhaps they still do. I don't know because I don't have a BB. However, it's not required for Exchange on the Inc. and according to the link above, it supports push gmail and exchange.

7. Superkool

Superkool New Member

Basically the $45 plan is for corporate users doesnt even give more data usage since 5G is what they call unlimited.

8. mike146

mike146 Active Member

what happens if you go over the 5g? If they say it is unlimited, how do they put a cap on it? Has anyone tried to fight this cap with the claim of unlimited?

9. appleaj

Thanks everyone! Now I won't waste an extra ~$15.

10. droidINCREDIBLE

droidINCREDIBLE Active Member

It's actually UNLIMITED Internet, there's no CAP $30 a month.
    if you were to tether than you'd have a 5GB limit.

when LTE technology is introduced, things will change.
    for now enjoy the unlimited internet.

11. vzw+google+htc=:)

vzw+google+htc=:) Well-Known Member

Just sign up for gmail through google and link your college or any other email to it. This will push it to your phone. Google has a pushed/synced that works good. This can be done under the 30 dollar plan. Plus through gmail you can look at excel documents, text to a cellphone from your gmail on a computer or from your phone. There is google talk, calendar, buzz, and so on.

gmail>>settings>>accounts and import. That is where you put your college email.

Hope this helps.

12. jonw757

jonw757 Well-Known Member

Not that it matters but for clarification, the 50 BB Plan allows you to connect to a BES, the 30 plan no longer does.

13. ArtificialSweetener

ArtificialSweetener Banned

When will people finally learn that there is NO 5gb data cap. The data usage is unlimited via phone or tethering. I consistently use about 7-8gbs per month sometimes even 9gbs. Much of that is from tethering and watching youtube videos on my phone, pandora radio, ect.

People need to stop spreading this 5gb cap nonsense. Verizon did have an "unlimited" plan that was capped at 5gb many YEARS ago which they were sued for and lost big time. Those days are long gone.

14. appleaj

Thanks, that's a great tip. I just prefer to keep those two accounts separated. But are the exchange e-mails not pushed as fast? Because I currently have a BlackBerry and I get my exchange mail very fast, and I was hoping I would get the same on the Incredible.

15. vzw+google+htc=:)

vzw+google+htc=:) Well-Known Member

I do not know how fast it is but will find out the 29th. Gmail will make a separate label for your college email if you set it up under settings>>accounts and import. They will show up under a label named for you college email. Now, if you go into the setting from your college email and forward your email to gmail, then it will all show up in the inbox(gmail) and will not be separate your emails.

I have a mediacom linked to my gmail and it shows up instantly.

16. Sailingmaster

Sailingmaster Well-Known Member

Sir, you are correct and you are mistaken. Perfectly understandable, the data is measured separately.

There most definitely is a 5 gigabyte soft cap on tethering, and after 5 gigabytes you will be charged an overage fee of 5

MathewS81 likes this.
  17. ArtificialSweetener

18. Nabraham

Nabraham Well-Known Member

If it's anything like the Droid Eris (and i'm assuming it will be) then you set the length of time when it comes to the phone pulling emails down. I think the fastest you can set it to is to check every 5 minutes but you will burn up the battery that way. I currently have it set to check my yahoo mail every hour and it works great.

Like someone else said though, you could always have the mail forward to your gmail account...gmail is setup to do instance push notifications on Droid phones.

19. Sailingmaster

Sailingmaster Well-Known Member

Sorry, but you're just wrong. If you tether, there's a cap on how much data you can use with the tethered device. Tethering feature has a 5 gigabyte cap. 5

20. chris61292

chris61292 Well-Known Member

You probally wont, someone else has said before they might ignore it or if your tethering which they can supposedly tell, they make you "low priority" on 3g network

21. ArtificialSweetener

22. Teibidh

Teibidh Well-Known Member

First, quit being pretentious, you're no good at it.

The FEATURE that was linked, not a plan, is the tethering package that Verizon Wireless offers for any eligible phones, including feature phones. It is an additional cost over any other data packages that might be in place (required or not). While there might be methods of using your Android device as a tethered modem they are not supported and if you were to spend as much time reading as you do writing you would discover that doing so violates the Terms of Service and makes your account subject to action such as suspension or even termination at VZW's discretion.

That said: The $29.99 E-Mail & Web for Smartphones feature is the one that virtually everyone getting a DROID or non-Blackberry smartphone will want, and it's the minimum required. For Blackberries if you will be connecting with a Blackberry Enterprise Server there is a requirement that you use the $44.99 per month Blackberry Unlimited feature.

The $29.99/mo feature is unlimited usage of internet connectivity with no hard/soft caps on how much data is consumed but you are governed by terms of service on what you can do with that internet connection.

If you are using your device as a tethered modem, legitimately, there is a 5GB/mo soft cap on its use in that manner with overage charges applying after the 5GB limit is reached. This is completely separate from normal usage of the device by itself which remains unlimited.

Sailingmaster likes this.
  23. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

you DO realize that "tethering" ISN'T ALLOWED under the 29.99 unlimited plan? right...? Verizon may NOT care if you tether and may ignore it, BUT THE FACT IS your not supposed to tether...

you two arguing about semantics is useless.

24. ArtificialSweetener

How do you not understand this? The 5gb cap is ONLY on the Mobile Broadband Connect plans NOT the $30 smartphone unlimited plans. You are talking about a COMPLETELY different data plan that is irrelevant to the Unlimited smartphone data plan. YES you can tether under the $30 unlimited plan for smartphones without the Mobile Broadband Connect plan.

Unless you want to get owned yet again please stop posting about this. You are 100% wrong, you dont know it because you dont even own a smartphone or even have any kind of data plan. Its really quite funny.

25. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Really? hmmmm, I guess these guys are all idiots and you are the only smart person on the internet.

Verizon Droid Tethering Will Cost You - PCWorld Business Center

Verizon confirms DROID tethering cost, will ask subscribers to double-down on their data plan -- Engadget

Tethering (AKA Phone-as-Modem): Get the Facts! : EVDOinfo.com

Verizon Droid tethering will cost you | Phones | iPhone Central | Macworld

Verizon confirms DROID tethering cost, will ask subscribers to double-down on their data plan - Engadget Mobile

Verizon to Offer Tethering For Motorola Droid | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Slashdot Mobile Story | Verizon Droid Tethering Comes At a Hefty Price

More information: Verizon Wireless tethering for the Motorola Droid | Google Android Blog

Droid Does Tethering … For an Extra $30 Per Month

Verizon's Droid tethering plans to match iPhone's | Electronista

The fact is, that you can tether without one of these plans. You can also use your neighbors open wifi network without asking. You aren't supposed to do either and will eventually get caught. You are using their data and they want you to pay for it.

Good advice, if you ask me.

twospirits likes this.