• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data plan nessacery?

funguypie2

Lurker
Feb 12, 2012
Hi I have looked into the Motorola flipout and it seems to be the phone for me, I was thinking of buying an unbranded unlocked version off the Internet and pluging my sim card in, I have a family plan with unlimited talk and text but no data, which is okay because I just use wifi. If I do this will AT&T put a data plan on the phone automatically

Hi I have looked into the Motorola flipout and it seems to be the phone for me, I was thinking of buying an unbranded unlocked version off the Internet and plugging my sim card in, I have a family plan with unlimited talk and text but no data, which is okay because I just use wifi. If I do this will AT&T put a data plan on the phone automatically

You should be OK. I had one of these phones for a couple of weeks. I plugged my GoPhone SIM card and everything worked as normal. I used WiFi for browsing, data did work, but it cost a fortune, so I got an app from the marketplace to turn it off, otherwise it uses the data connection even when you are not using the phone. I bought my phone from eBay. Try to get a USA phone. Most phones on eBay are UK phones branded with the Orange carrier. They work OK for voice, but US uses different frequencies for data, and the charger has the wrong plug. I traded the phone in for another phone, and still use my GoPhone SIM card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones