Data Plan QuestionGeneral

1. I'm buying an Eris (yay!) and need a data plan. What on earth is the difference between the "email and web for smartphone" versus "unlimited data usage" (besides $20/month).

I thought the Eris was like a iPhone in that it connects to a 3g network - so why the charges?

Advertisement
    :
  2. shante1012

shante1012 Well-Known Member

it is a smartphone so you have to subscribe to the smartphone plan(29.99) the unlimited data(20.00) is for non-smartphones which connect to the 3g network
  3. Thanks. So the email and web for smartphone will allow me unlimited access to the internet with my Eris. it seems odd they'd list both options but understanding Verizon is a science I have not taken yet :)
  4. shante1012

yes i dont know why both are listed but the smartphone option is unlimited
  5. jeffgman

jeffgman Well-Known Member

Any smartphone on Verizon's network must have a data plan now. The consumer version is the "email and web for smartphone" option for $29.99. The business version is the "unlimited data usage" option for $44.99. The second one allows you to connect to an Exchange server or BES.
  6. Good to know - thanks. Should I assume that e-mail and web does not include text messaging since that is a separate add on?
  7. shante1012

correct you would be better off getting a plan with unlimited data/messaging included in the plan(if you text alot)
  8. MoreYummy

MoreYummy Well-Known Member

How much is unlimited data and messaging as extra?
  9. shante1012

depends on what plan. also depnends if you need a small package or unlimited

$5=250 text
    $10=500 text unlimited to vzw
    $15=1500 text unlimited to vzw
    $20=5000 text unlimited to vzw

or just go unlimited for $20 on single lines or $30 for family plan
    and you can get the unlimited data/txt as a package on single lines i believe yu save bout $5 to $10 when you do that
  10. r1nstang

r1nstang New Member

I signed up for the
    NATIONWIDE EMAIL & MESSAGING 450 MINS UNLIM PDA $99.99
    but with the employee discount I get for being at UPS I get 22%...so its really like $75. Unlimited internet, email, texting, and 450 minutes...which I never use more then 60 haha..I hate talking on phones
  11. Marsh511

Marsh511 Member

I'm a current VZW Storm user, thinking about switching to the Eris or waiting for the Passion. Regarding the data plan, is the "email and web for smartphone" option like BIS in Blackberry speak, while "unlimited data usage" option like BES? Something doesn't seem to quite match up like that, since with the $29.99 Blackberry plan (BIS), data usage is still unlimited. The only thing the extra $15 gets you is the ability to directly connect to an Exchange server. Even with the $29.99 plan, you can 'push' email from an Exchange server. Is this also true with the Eris plans?