Data Plan QuestionGeneral

Last Updated:

1. bigmak

bigmak Member This Topic's Starter

I am new to the smartphone world so not sure how this works. I am going to get afamily plan with two smartphones. Do I need to purchase data plans for each phone or are there any packages which include this?

Advertisement
  2. markketch

markketch Well-Known Member

Each line needs a data plan.

3. Nytemare

Nytemare Member

You'll need a data plan for each phone.

4. bandityo

bandityo Well-Known Member

love verizons service, but their plans are so expensive compared to sprint!

5. bigmak

Is this something which all providers do or only Verizon? I would have thought being a family plan it was one cost per plan.

6. douger

douger Well-Known Member

Providing the infrastructure for data service must be more involved than it is for voice service...

But I'm sure it's a sweet profit center for VZW as well.

7. markketch

Don't quote me, but I'm fairly certain all providers require individual plans per line. Otherwise, people would be able to set up family plans with 10+ lines and only use one data plan. That wouldn't fly.

8. MrSmoofy

MrSmoofy Well-Known Member

all providers as far as I know.

Your family plan you share your minutes/text msgs but data is seperate

Also like to say you get what you pay for, I agree Verizon costs more then others but I think their wireless network is better, atleast where I live and travel to.

9. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

What sucks is i use my data plan, while only little bit due to me having wifi at home and that takes priority over 3g. My wife who has an eris does not use any data at all but still needs the data plan. She doesn't have email setup, facebook connect or anything. She uses it strickly as a voice phone, has never even opened the browser or app store. Yet we still get stuck with the $30 a month for her line as well. Oh well i guess i should have gotten her a different phone, but she wanted the iphone earlier this year so i figured hey this is just as good.

10. benson304

benson304 Well-Known Member

Why would she get an Eris if she isn't using about 90% of its functionality...

11. markketch

So she's burning $30 a month for a smartphone, and treating it like a dumbphone? Sounds like she just wants a phone as a fashion accessory, IMO.

12. bigmak

Sounds like the situation I will be in with my fiancee. I plan on getting the Incredible. Was considering the IPhone but want to stay with Verizon. She may get a Samsung Reality (has trouble with the touch screen due to fingernails so Incredible is probably not an option). This way Facebook and a few others can be accessed. I know this will hardly be used but its going to be an extra $30 per month.

13. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Sprint's family plan for unlimited everything (we have to share 1500 minutes for use with landlines) is $129.99 for 2 lines. Each additional line is $20, that includes unlimited web and text.

It's actually called the Everything Data-with Unlimited Mobile to Mobile. This includes ANY mobile on any network.
    Sprint - Browse Plans

14. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Well it was my decision to get her the eris, it was buy one get one free so i figured she'd like it as she told me earlier this year she wanted an iphone. I returned mine to get the incredible but that still left us with her line. Her phone broke about 2 weeks ago and we had it replaced, before it broke she used some features, but she was always on wifi so she never really used any 3g data even then. Since she got her replacement she hasn't bothered to set things back up again. Maybe she will here eventually, i think the biggest thing was she was turned off by losing all her contacts and etc when getting the replacement as not everything was synced with her google account. I think she spent like an hour adding contacts when she first got it and hasn't had the time since getting her replacement to sit down and do it over again. Oh well, thats the story of my life ;)

15. EgoDogg

EgoDogg Well-Known Member

Also, Best Buy offers a free month of the data plan for each Incredible purchased. Just found that out when I bought mine! :D

16. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

For my wife and i we pay $129/mo but only get 700 anytime minutes, but we both have the data plan as well. Way too expensive imo.