Data plan required for GSM Android phone?

Last Updated:

1. sjabosi

sjabosi Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone, if I buy a GSM Android phone from ebay/craigslist, can I activate it and use it without a data plan (aka Wifi only)? The reason I ask is that next month I'm leaving to study abroad in Egypt for a year and won't even be using my AT&T sim card, so there's no point in paying monthly for a data plan.

So is it possible? Thanks in advance.

(edit: If I buy it as soon as this week, I'll be using it with AT&T until I leave, then will switch with an Egyptian carrier sim card)

Advertisement
  2. vani77a

vani77a Member

its not necessary. I also just connect through wifi most of the time.

(I have a Milestone which i bought without a plan, using it with a prepaid sim with no data connection )

3. sjabosi

Thanks. Can anyone else please confirm this or share their own experience?

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

If at&t can identify the device via the IMEI then they will probably force a data plan on you. If they can't (Milestone on at&t is a good example since at&t doesn't carry the Milestone) then they probably won't force the data plan on you.

5. gwcaton

gwcaton Well-Known Member

Just curious, how can a carrier force a data plan on you ? I bought a MT3G off ebay, called TMobile got their data plan to activate the phone then cancelled the data plan. Is it just a AT&T thing ?

Sorry if this is not an appropriate question/hijack of topic.

6. Schwin97

Schwin97 Well-Known Member

The only way AT&T can force a data plan is if you buy the phone from AT&T at a subsidized price. The subsidy is what leads to AT&T being able to force you into paying for certain services. Any unlocked phone should be able to be on the network with whatever plan you want to use.

But, I would call up AT&T and ask them about it to make sure...

7. SupremeBeaver

SupremeBeaver Well-Known Member

I can confirm this. You don't need a data plan at all. Im planning on buying an android phone later this year with no plan. Its ok with me because im always around wifi.

8. opticalshadow

opticalshadow Well-Known Member

just be prepared to listen to you rcarrier cry moan and complain about needing the data plan the hwole time your on the phone activating, i sware those people could make a rock cry in frustration.

9. sjabosi

once again, thanks everyone for their replies.

Just an update: I'm looking into buying an unlocked MyTouch 3G. Has anybody used their MyTouch on the AT&T network? Do they force a data plan on you or not? I've been doing some research and have not been able to find a clear answer.