Data Plan

Last Updated:

1. yahoowizard

yahoowizard Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, right now, I have an iPhone 2G with a 20 dollar data plan that also includes 200 texts. It's part of a family plan, and I'm probably going to go Samsung Captivate or iPhone 4 in a few days. My questions include
    1. Can I just use the 20 dollar data plan for the iPhone with that phone, like, without them knowing? Any serious consequences involved with it?
    2. Similar to the first question, can I just use the non-smartphone data plan, which is 15 bucks a month, and use that with the Captivate? Would they know which phone is using it?
    2. Once I switch to limited data, like 200 MB or 2 GB, can I switch back to unlimited?

I don't pay my own bills, parents do, but don't want to put on an extra 10 or 15 dollars a month right now, just for data, when I could just continue using whatever I'm using.

Advertisement
  2. richierich

richierich Active Member

1. Nope AT&T will detect the captivate and add on the $25 data plan
    2. Nope, $15 for the 200mb data plan only. Extra $5 for 200 texts. Comes out to about the same, since edge is slower than 3G anyways.
    3. Nope, you can't switch back to unlimited.

3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that is correct. If he has an iPhone smartphone plan already, it should be able to be transferred (grandfathered) to the Captivate even if the plan is no longer available. It's only the non-smartphone plans that they force you off of with no exceptions, old smartphone plans (such as the "unlimited" ones) are grandfathered over.

4. coreyb

coreyb Member

i agree with richierich except for #1 - you can grandfather in your unlimited data plan at the $30 rate. the only catch might be that you never had the $30 unlimited plan since you have the iphone 2g ($20). i previously had an iphone 3g and had the $30 unlimited plan was able to grandfather that in for my captivate.

5. yahoowizard

Damn, it's going to end up costing me around 15 dollars a month extra then, if I want to go unlimited, since 5 dollars for texts and 30 for data unlimited, rather than just 20 for data unlimited+200 texts. Hmm...Well, really need to think about this then...

6. richierich

richierich Active Member

iphone 2G plan is different from the current $30 unlimited I believe. I don't know how that will work with the conversion.

7. Ph8

Ph8 Well-Known Member

It will be a different plan since it will be a smartphone unlimited instead of a IPhone data plan. The unilimited plan for smartphones is $30 a month. You may want to see if you job\parents\siginigant other get a discount though thier company that you may qualify for if money is the issue.

8. yahoowizard

Haha, found why I was confused.... I knew this post was somewhere, but I couldn't find it at the time...