• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Data Recovery after Factory Reset

brlebu

Jun 7, 2010
Android 4.4.2, Rooted, using an iMac

I'm trying to recover data off my wife's phone after a factory reset. We thought everything was being backed up to dropbox, but it turns out dropbox only saved four or five of dozens of videos.

Of course, the only data recovery apps I can find require the phone to be mounted on my computer as a USB drive, but 4.4.2 no longer offers that option.

I haven't taken any new photos or videos since the reset, so hopefully the data is still recoverable.

Any suggestions?

If you did a factory data reset, either via the stock recovery or within the system settings, then everything on your phone with the exception of the external SD card was wiped, including anything you saved to the internal sd card. There is no way to recover them unless you backed up the photos to Google. Any app settings are gone, but they might recover from Google if you told your phone to backup app settings to Google. But, that is hit or miss. I've found that it doesn't always backup everything.

Otherwise, whatever wasn't backed up is gone and there isn't any way to get them back.

Sorry about that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones