Data Roaming?

Last Updated:

1. DroiDoM

DroiDoM Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys,

This is completly insane. I am from Quebec, Canada, and i am visiting London at the end of july. I have a Motorola Milestone and i downloaded a few apps on the market to help me out with the London Tubes, the airport, things like that. I just called Telus and here's what they told me.

" Data used while roaming outside Canada and the US is charged at $25/MB, billed in increments of 20 KB/session. "
    :eek::eek:

25 DOLLARS per MEGABYTES!? This is ridiculous! I will have to rely on hotspots and AP in order to use my apps, which is kind of... lame. I noticed there's an option in my phone called " Data Roaming " , and if i understand correctly it's job is to find another company that Telus is affiliate with so I can use my 3G.

Sounds like a newb question, but does that mean that if I activate Data Roaming once I'm in London I can use 3G at normal fees? I think I might not fully understand the fonction, and google didn't really helped me out. Thanks :D

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Data roaming merely enables data while roaming I believe. Its disabled by default so you don't get those high data fees. You will still be charged that high rate. So unless you want to spend that $25, I do not recommend enabling it. You can ask your carrier about a international roaming package. You would end up paying an extra fee at the end of the month, but the roaming rates should be significantly lower.

International roaming: International passes*|* 3G+*|* Coverage and Travelling*|* Support*|* TELUS Mobility

I live in the United States so I have no idea how this would work with Telus. But you might want to ask them to enable it for a month.

If you don't want to do that, there is nothing else you can do. International roaming is VERY expensive. So don't use unless you ABSOLUTELY need it.

DroiDoM likes this.
  3. DroiDoM

DroiDoM Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks Demache,

I also asked them about a data plan outside Canada / Us, and they had the same reply as the info on their website.

International Data Pass 100
    $100 Per Month
    $15 per MB
    Savings start after 10 MB

Which I think is again a ridiculous option.

At least i've heard that London offers an impressive number of free hot spots and AP, I hope that will do the job! Or I'll just be a normal tourist and buy a map lol.

4. copter105

copter105 Member

DroiDom, I traveled to England twice last year. The best option I found was to go to a T-Mobile store when you get there and buy a pay as you go sim card. The going rate at the time for me was