• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data Saving tips

Daigoro

Dec 5, 2012
might be an obvious tip, but i didnt know about it until recently. been keeping a close eye on my data usage lately and finally noticed how much background data lots of apps use.

go into your settings menu and click on Mobile Data. it will list data usage by amount used per app. click on the app in the list and it will show you a breakdown of how much data was used by the app while in use and in the background. here you can disable background data usage for each app individually.

be smart about what apps you choose to do this with. there may be some apps that you want to have access to background data, but i disabled a lot of them and it's saved me a fair bit of date over the last week or so.

i personally didn't disable apps that tend to send alerts and messages since i wasn't sure if this would stop them from working properly. maybe someone with more knowledge can clarify.

I suggest getting Qualcomm BatteryGuru to help you out with data management. It will monitor your use for a few days, then set background data permission for your apps based on usage. You can then override this settings if you wish. This does not require root.

Greenify is a more aggressive app you can use to block apps from using background data. It requires root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones