• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data signal strength?

gloriousnumber1

Android Expert
Aug 22, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Is it my imagination or does the LTE on Verizon just doesn't offer nearly the signal strength as it did a couple years ago? Is it my area? Is it my S4? I had the Rezound and RAZR Maxx (and briefly HD) and they picked up the data better?

I'm thinking so many people on LTE has weakened bandwidth. Inside so many buildings now and in many areas I seem to lose data. Done plenty of factory resets (including yesterday after I got KitKat) so that's not it.

Thoughts?

Signal got so bad for us that we left for AT&T. Fast doesn't mean a thing if you can hold the connection. I had the RAZR Maxx with Verizon and just bought a Nexus 5 and went to AT&T. Much better now! :) Hey Verizon... can you hear me now? hmm.. didn't think so.

Is it my imagination or does the LTE on Verizon just doesn't offer nearly the signal strength as it did a couple years ago? Is it my area? Is it my S4? I had the Rezound and RAZR Maxx (and briefly HD) and they picked up the data better?

I'm thinking so many people on LTE has weakened bandwidth. Inside so many buildings now and in many areas I seem to lose data. Done plenty of factory resets (including yesterday after I got KitKat) so that's not it.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
I think the word to use concerning this would be "saturated" VZW's network has just became really really over saturated in the last 2 years. Think about it. In the last 2 years they had millions of people swap from 3g to 4g phones. All of those iPhone 4S Original owners didn't get LTE until last fall if they held out till the end of their contract.

Upvote 0
I think the word to use concerning this would be "saturated" VZW's network has just became really really over saturated in the last 2 years. Think about it. In the last 2 years they had millions of people swap from 3g to 4g phones. All of those iPhone 4S Original owners didn't get LTE until last fall if they held out till the end of their contract.

I agree 100%. I remember the 57 Mbps download speeds in Ft. Worth Texas when I was there January 2012. I also remember 20-30 Mbps download speeds common here now I'm usually around half that. I'm afraid even with my unlimited data, the golden days of being an early adopter of LTE have been gone for quite a while. My local VZW store says that a "boost in speed" for my area is coming soon, whatever the heck that means.

Upvote 0
i'm jumping to Tmo this fall. Just waiting on the new iPhones to come out.

Well I certainly respect your choice. I had them for a while and coverage was so bad and customer service equally horrible that it wasn't even reliable enough to keep. I paid an ETF and everything.

For me, Verizon would have to get so bad that even the pay as you go services were better for me to jump ship. Kinda like if the USA got as corrupt and poor as some African or Asian countries that there was no difference at all, at which time I may consider moving to another country. Different subjects but parallels from my perspective.

VZW isn't perfect. They are expensive. They are screwing some people over on old plans like me, while trying to appeal to new ones (or get existing ones to change plan types) in order to stay competitive. The golden days of blazing fast, unlimited LTE are gone for good. However, even just the way that other carriers do warranty exchanges make me glad I'm still with them. So many carriers make you go through hell simply to replace a broken phone on warranty. You have to pay a fee, send it for repair, etc. I've sent at least 8 smartphone units (of the 5 models I've had) back and at least that is very painless. I can set up my phone from scratch in less than an hour without even seeing the old one as reference, or after a fresh reset.

Upvote 0
yeah there are a few things that affect me directly with what TMO has to offer. Mainly...i travel out of the country several times a year. Their international plans are nuts. VZW's are basically nonexistent unless you have a money tree.

Going to Tmo would also set me up better for the day that I decide to give Android another try. Phone selection is much better on Tmo for Android phones. (NEXUS)

I'm not a big data user. So I can pay what I pay at VZW now and get unlimited OR I can pay less and get the same amount of data I have on my VZW plan. Which I will probably do. My wife and I share 4gb's and have never went over.

Upvote 0
yeah there are a few things that affect me directly with what TMO has to offer. Mainly...i travel out of the country several times a year. Their international plans are nuts. VZW's are basically nonexistent unless you have a money tree.

Going to Tmo would also set me up better for the day that I decide to give Android another try. Phone selection is much better on Tmo for Android phones. (NEXUS)

I'm not a big data user. So I can pay what I pay at VZW now and get unlimited OR I can pay less and get the same amount of data I have on my VZW plan. Which I will probably do. My wife and I share 4gb's and have never went over.

Sounds like a good deal for you. Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones