Data speeds - all carriers USA (DISCUSSION THREAD)

1. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru Guide

Advertisement
    :
  2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Tower congestion on Verizon is evident where I live. LTE during the day is usually between 3mbps and 6mbps down and about 5mbps up.
    Sepero likes this.
  3. Arrowslinger

Arrowslinger Active Member

I would also suggest links to carrier coverage so ones wanting to make the (that sux, I would switch, something wrong with your phone) comments can see location coverage of the responder. I say this because I live in a very rural area and border on good and not so good coverage. In the city of Columbia my speed data is blazing on 4G :D
    Sepero likes this.
  4. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru Guide

@Arrowslinger
    That's a good idea. I created this second thread after I saw your post because I thought to myself, "Holy crap, that's really bad for t-mobile unthrottled. There's definitely more to that story." :p

I added an "Additional" field on the other thread, so if you want you can go back and put that info in to clear things up. ;)
    Arrowslinger likes this.
  5. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I get 7-10Mbps down almost always on T-Mobile in Seattle and I've seen peaks of double that.
  6. Arrowslinger

Arrowslinger Active Member

Thanks Sepero I added an image of my coverage into my post.
  7. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru Guide

@jhawkkw & chrlswltrs
    We should make it a rule that you're forbidden from posting on this thread until you've posted your stats on the main thread. (joking) :p

Seriously though, if you get a minute to run the tests, we really want to see everyone help out with this. We all benefit. Cheers
    :smokingsomb:
  8. jhawkkw

Will do, but it will probably be tomorrow because I'm not in my normal area today to do the tests.
  9. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru Guide

That's even better. You can upload results from two different locations
  10. jhawkkw

Alright, I posted number from where I currently am, and they're pretty bad :rolleyes:. Will post my real numbers tomorrow.
    Sepero likes this.
  11. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru Guide

Thanks a lot. This totally isn't a "my speed is faster than your speed thread". Instead, it's for all of us to gain knowledge, all areas, and make better decisions when choosing a carrier. :D
  12. jhawkkw

Yeah, i'm not surprised the speeds are terrible because this is a pretty rural area.
  13. jhawkkw

Just added numbers for where I normally am.
  14. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

That's 4G?

No way that can be 3G lol if I'm lucky I can barely pull 1MB on 3G. Don't live in an lte area :(
  15. iTzKPanda

iTzKPanda AF's resident panda

Yeah. My 3G speeds are around 1-2Mbps down and 0.5-0.7Mbps up. The speeds recently went higher in my area. I used to peak at around 6Mbps up on WiMax and 0.8-1Mbps on 3G.

And dang.. that's rough. Do you know if you'll be getting LTE anytime soon?
  16. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru Guide

The highest 4G speeds I think I've seen before were about 24Mbps, on Verizon network.
  17. jhawkkw

Back during the infancy of Verizon's LTE network, when barely anyone had LTE phones, I was able to pull in a test result of 35 Mbps down. Now I'd be lucky to pull in 10 Mbps due to tower congestion. :rolleyes:
  18. DragonSlayer95

Probably not, I live a couple hours from a city that's getting lte

Official speed test

Down: 1'.03mb, 0.69mb, 0.74mb
    Up: 0.81mb, 0.88mb, 0.84mb
    Network: Sprint/3G
    Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
  19. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru Guide

20. DragonSlayer95

21. dukenukems

dukenukems Active Member

legmando are you on 3g?
  22. legmando33

legmando33 Well-Known Member

Nah I'm on 4g. I cant seem to get 3g anywhere. Either 4g or 1x. :(
  23. Uzephi

Uzephi Well-Known Member

I don't think my numbers should be taken into consideration. My area has high data speeds for the big 4 besides sprint.