Data Speeds and ApplicationsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. fatum

fatum Member This Topic's Starter

I have had my G1 now for about 4 months. There are still some GUI things that need changing in my opinion but the biggest problem I have is data. I will be in 3G coverage full bars and have a friend next to me with his Blackberry on EDGE and his will load everything faster than mine. Now this was something that I thought was a fluke but when I got home I timed a load of mobile digg on my G1. Then I switched my SIM over to my iPhone and loaded it on there. The iPhone loaded quicker. Not drastically faster only about 3/4 seconds but still faster. So then I opened up WeatherBug and the iPhone loads that faster by almost 10 seconds.
    I pay what I consider to be a lot for 3G data for a phone and it is slower on the G1 than my iPhone on EDGE and Blackberries on EDGE for loading data. Either this is a problem with Android or the network. I am sorry for Android but I am going to say that it is an OS optimization thing. Unless things like this change with the OS I fully believe that Android will not be adopted as quickly as Google hopes. I know after I noticed this and talked to friends of mine they all will not be getting Android anything anytime soon.

Advertisement
  2. randel77

randel77 Well-Known Member

3. fatum

It would be really great to prove me wrong except for that is showing two different networks and 3G against 3G. I have done tests with my G1 3G against an iPhone on EDGE on t-mobiles network in Minneapolis and the iPhone loads web pages a little slower 3/4 second. But loads data from applications much quicker. Not to mention not having dropped calls on the iPhone in the same location as the G1 dropping calls.

4. fatum

Now before this turns into a "you're an Apple fanboy" forum. This is by no means saying that I am changing back to my iPhone. I am just bringing up the issue that I see when using my G1. When on 3G no phone should be able to load data quicker when they are on EDGE. Now are there things that I wish Google would change yeah but I want the applications I want not ones that are said to be okay.

5. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

While traveling I have noticed vastly different Edge and 3G performance in different reagions. I often see 3G grind to a halt in airports where many people are bored and surfing the mobile net.

In my smallish City, I found Edge performance fairly snappy. My area just received 3G and performance is a bit better. With mobile net, you are sharing what is still a fairly small pipeline. I'm sure TMo realizes the importance of data speeds and is working to beef up their network. I don't think this is an issue with the device or operating system.