44.4%
  3. Maybe. I will check and post.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Last Updated:

1. airwolf

airwolf Member This Topic's Starter

I posted this in the XDA forums but I thought I would post here as well

I have been having some major problems with my EVO regarding the data. If I use anything that is on the heavy side of bandwidth, like downloading a file from android marketplace, surfing the web, watching sprint tv, using the GPS, etc...the data will just time out for about 3 min at a time. For instance if I am downloading a 5mb app from android marketplace, it will maybe download a megabyte, then it will just stop downloading. If you look at the 3G symbol at the top, it will be white, but only the upstream indicator will be on. I can then open any other internet application on the phone, and nothing will work. It usually lasts for about 3 minutes at a time and happens fairly regularly. It will end up taking me 15-20 min to download a 5mb file from the marketplace. Same thing if I browse a bandwidth heavy site like digg.com. It will just time out after a while and it will just show the upstream indicator as solid and not do anything in any program.

This problem is not location dependent. I have this issue at my apartment, at work, at my friend's house, at the Sprint store...anywhere. I live in South Denver.

In chronological order, this is what I have done to troubleshoot/fix the problem:

First noticed problem
    Turned off phone/Turned back on
    Rooted and installed custom version of 2.1 w/ Sense
    Removed battery (power cycle)
    Talk to Sprint cust care. They sent signal over that reactivated the phone (2x)
    Did factory reset on phone and formatted SD card
    Swapped phone at Sprint store with new one

So even after swapping my EVO with a new EVO from the Sprint store and not fooling with the phone at all, I am still having the same exact issue.

I am absolutely at wit's end with this and I have no idea what to do at this point.

Update (6/25):

I have not been able to test with Wifi yet, but I just had one of my coworkers that has the same phone to replicate the issue on his phone. He is having the same exact problem as me, he just didnt realize it.

We set our phones next to each other and downloaded Space Buster 3D Lite off the Android Marketplace. Mine crapped out about 2mb in and so did his. He wasnt able to surf or do anything else on his phone for a few minutes just like mine.

I'm wondering if this a network problem in our area or if there is a problem with the phone.

Also, I downloaded a continuous ping program and did 3,000 pings with no packet loss, so it seems to only happen with heavy data usage ie. saturating your bandwidth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

This used to happen to me a lot with my old Mogul (ppc6800). I haven't really had this issue arise on the EVO yet though.
    I'm in Salt Lake

3. airwolf

One of my best friends that got this phone too is having the same problem. Including me, thats 3 out of 3 people I know personally that are having this problem.

Something is seriously wrong here...I dont know if its the network or the phone, but something is in need of repair.

4. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

Do you have always-on mobile network checked?

5. airwolf

Always-on mobile data? Yes. It is checked. Should it not be?

6. Braaainz

Braaainz Well-Known Member

just curious, how much data have you used via 3g so far this month?

and this is happening to you via wifi too?

7. airwolf

423mb

I dont have a wifi network to try it on. I run mine at 5ghz N so my phone cant connect to it. I will try it at a friend's next chance I get.

8. Braaainz

Braaainz Well-Known Member

I used to have a problem tethering via USB with Sprint... if I didn't do anything, the connection would drop after 3 minutes. I avoided this by streaming internet radio (the smallest kps transmission I could find), but that sounds totally different from what you're going thru.

I'd suggest taking it back to your Sprint store at this point, or perhaps calling tech support. Sorry :(

9. celeste9000

celeste9000 Member

I was having some major problems with data. At my house I was getting between 1 and 2 bars and no 3G. It was slow but usable. At my job I would get between 0-1 bars or no signal or roaming. My Evo would drop calls or not connect to the network. Or it would be sooo slow. It was so maddening as I spend 10 hours at work and I wanna watch Youtube videos and go on forums in a timely manner. I spent lots of time roaming on Verizons network (lol my forum cell phone company). I know the Evo can be fast because while sitting at a Jiffy Lube I got 5 bars and 3G...the phone was super fast! Its a great phone and other than network issues I had no problems.

10. airwolf

It appears the OTA update that was released today fixed the problem. I've been running Sprint TV for about 4 hours with no issues. Thank god...I was about to cancel my service over this.

11. Kidmet

Kidmet Well-Known Member

Hmmm, looks like I need to update... Crap! Also having the same issue. UGH!

12. Kidmet

Kidmet Well-Known Member

So I got the update, and no luck. Went to the Sprint repair center, they reset my phone and now it works. Buuuuutttt, I had some problems earlier like it did before. Now, it's working again. Curious problem.

13. Adambomb13

Adambomb13 Active Member

I'm in Lakewood and Centennial Colorado and getting the same problem, with the 3G signal freezing then restarting itself and no other internet application works. I called Sprint and they said they are not having problem in Colorado...riiight. I'm on a waiting list to have the phone replaced, I have tried a hard reset 2X with NO other applications installed and still no go.

WiFi works solid...

Ugh

14. airwolf

Did you install the latest ota update?

15. Hardcorp

Hardcorp Well-Known Member

I have had an issue with error 67. It happens more in a particular area of Michigan were I live. I have done all the reboots, updates, remove the battery and still have the error.

The last time i talked to Advance Technical Support they just told me it was a problem with the network in the area.

16. Adambomb13

Adambomb13 Active Member

Yes I'm at software number 1.47.651.1, Firmware 2.1-update1

17. Adambomb13

Adambomb13 Active Member

Ok, I called Sprint and spoke with Support, they tried the update my profile, pull out the battery, NO GO.
    They escalated me to the "Advanced Technician Group" and they stated that there is NO OPEN tickets regarding Colorado and network issues.

But she marked my zipcode towers and told me to spread the word to other people experiencing 3G timeouts/freezes to call Sprint and have their towers marked to have it escalated higher a network technician....

Please call Sprint