• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data Traffic problems

curses

Jul 27, 2010
Hi,
I'm encountering this strange problem on and off. At times, when I turn on data traffic to access the internet using GPRS/Edge, well, I'm not able to!

Whenever I turn it on, I get a message in the status bar on top saying "Data traffic enabled". I'm then supposed to get this small up/down arrow symbol with an E near my network signal which indicates data traffic. Every now and then, this symbol does not appear. And when it doesn't, I'm unable to access the internet!

A restart of my phone seems to set it right, but I can't be doing this on a regular basis. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I also seem to notice this happens whenever I charge my phone. It could be a coincidence, but thought it was worth pointing out.

Help!

have you checked your settings on the network mode? GSM/WCDMA?

if everything is ok, try verifying with your network provider. GPRS/EDGE and 3G may vary through your geographical location. there maybe some spots that don't have access to GPRS or 3G signal. some network providers require you to register first and download some settings before you can access these services.

hope it helps.

Upvote 0
have you checked your settings on the network mode? GSM/WCDMA?

if everything is ok, try verifying with your network provider. GPRS/EDGE and 3G may vary through your geographical location. there maybe some spots that don't have access to GPRS or 3G signal. some network providers require you to register first and download some settings before you can access these services.

hope it helps.

I did check it the first time around. There was no problem with the settings.
It seems to act capriciously whenever it's bored (or more possibly, charged)!
When I restart my phone standing at the same location, it works!

Edit: Gah! I checked my mail half an hour back. Switched off data traffic to conserve battery. Switched it back on now, and it's not working. I haven't moved an inch! I give up on trying to figure out what causes the problem to happen :(

Upvote 0
hi there, I have the same problem too. Everytime I shut down data traddic to o long, it couldn't connect. There are two solution.

one use juice defender that shut off 3g when not in used

second, used extended control, that disable apn rather rhan traffic and i'm using this and so far I have no problem so far.

Upvote 0
I also have the same problem. This happens when the GPRS switches off automatically after inactivity for some time. Restating the phone is the only solution i could find. I had do restart almost 2-3 times a day...
another solution is to manually switchoff the GPRS and datatransfer after use. Then it will switch on next time manually.

SE may need a software fix for this for the next upgrade.

Upvote 0
This problem has become heightened after upgrading to Android 2.1!
Earlier, at least a restart helped me connect to GPRS again.

Now when I try to switch on data traffic, the up-down symbol with the E or G (Edge/GPRS, I guess) blinks for a second and disappears altogether! :(

No amount of restarting, removing battery, removing SIM card seems to help.

What do I do? :(

PS.
I checked with my network provider. My GPRS connection is still active.

PPS.
I encountered this new problem for the first time 3 days back. I haven't been able to turn on data traffic since. I feel asphyxiated! :(

PPPS.
I'm able to connect using Wi-Fi.

Upvote 0
I think you have two options left, try a repair on either SEUS or PC Companion support. If that doesn't fix it then I would suggest you contact your carrier/retailer to get it looked at under warranty. If the software is OK and the data settings from your carrier are all correct I don't know what else to suggest.

Upvote 0
I'm also having this issue. I've had the phone for about a month, and this have happened twice so far. A restart fixed the issue both times.

I have timeriffic app turn off my data at night, and I lose connection at least twice each day when I go underground in the subway/train. Since it seems that android requires a constant internet connection, is it possible that all the connecting and disconnecting is doing something funny to the system?

Upvote 0
Hi,
I'm having the same problem. Essentially all applications that require a 'stable' network connection will not work over Hsdpa/ Edge etc..
with the funny exception of the browser.

this problem has been here since the upgrade.

all works fine as soon as i connect over wifi.

enable/disable data connection does not help; it DOES however resolve an issue where i am not able to use the browser, which at times -also- starts acting up.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I always have 3G, E or H.
However the problem has disappeared now, i performed a factory reset
And this time selected another provider for downloading the network settings.

This may have caused the trouble first time around.
One thing i noticed is that the provider i use here in germany, showed up in the list under the name of the provider that i use in another country. Weird, but has worked for a couple of days now, also after having used wifi for a while.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I'm encountering this strange problem on and off. At times, when I turn on data traffic to access the internet using GPRS/Edge, well, I'm not able to!

Whenever I turn it on, I get a message in the status bar on top saying "Data traffic enabled". I'm then supposed to get this small up/down arrow symbol with an E near my network signal which indicates data traffic. Every now and then, this symbol does not appear. And when it doesn't, I'm unable to access the internet!

A restart of my phone seems to set it right, but I can't be doing this on a regular basis. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I also seem to notice this happens whenever I charge my phone. It could be a coincidence, but thought it was worth pointing out.

Help!

Hi I too face the same problem with my x10minipro.
Go to Settings->Wireless&networks and turn on Airplane mode and turn off it again. This will turn your 3G on. Better than turning the phone on and off :D.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones