Data Usage for Syncing (Google, Facebook etc)

Last Updated:

1. royal23

royal23 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hi
    i've used the search and read all thread that include "data" in the post's title. lots of it was helpful, yet i have a few questions.

this morning as a test to see how much data my phone uses just for syncing and any kind of background data, i turned on the network data and syncing.
    after 20 mins it was up to 1.5mb (according to my data counter widget).

i downloaded the Spare Parts app which shows me what instances use how much data; very useful.

the 1.5mb i'm stating here already exlude RSS updates and a few web pages i loaded this morning. This 1.5mb is ONLY the syncing stuff.

so my question is: why and how can it be so much data?!
    i use gmail and google calendar and contacts, and have some 400+ friends of Facebook (FB).
    calendar and FB were already synced yesterday before i went to bed.
    how can anotehr sync use so much data? it wasn't my email (Gmail) as there weren't many this monring.

the calendar sync apprently took up 468kb, and a process called "UID 10027" which i presume is FB? used 555kb.

i'm really puzzled by these numbers. as google sync happens frequently throughout the day unless i activate it, usually i get up to 15mb a day without actually doing much (i.e. no browsing, no rss feeds updates, no streaming).

why is the FB and Google sync taking up so much data?

btw, i donwloaded FB for android, which replaced the FB for HTC application (so now i have inbox, and not the stupid "Take a Picture" in the app thank god) which doesn't even use the sync from the account settings but has its own update cycle which i had turned to 'manual'.

ps:
    i already switched off the "use wifi for location" because i heard google maps otherwise constantly searches in the background

Advertisement
  2. Eugene's Mac

Eugene's Mac Well-Known Member

400+ friends of Facebook may have a lot to do with it if those friends are also displayed as contacts. All updates, updated profile pictures of them and in their posts, galleries etc all need to be updated to your phone - hence the download. Cannot say too much for the calendar sync though.

3. royal23

royal23 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hi,
    well i noticed that their updates etc are only displayed when i select "show FB friends" in the people app, and they seem to be only updating once i scroll down to any given name... do you think they are still updated in the background?

wish i could figure out what the calendar does, it really makes no sense to me.