Data usage outside of the country.

Last Updated:

1. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Going to Mexico in May and I'm curious if web/data usage is subject to roaming or some other type of charges. I have the unlimited web/data plan.

Advertisement
  2. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Phydeaux likes this.
  3. Phydeaux

I'm specifically going to Cabo San Lucas. I know from trips there in the past that CDMA service is available there but it was with a dumb-phone. If I recall correctly, I did pay roaming charges. I'll definitely give them a call to see if or what kind of charges I'll expect for data.

If there's a per minute charge for data, I can see the tab adding up very quickly.

If anyone else has used data in Mexico with a smartphone, please chime in.

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

5. RichP

RichP Member

Call Verizon and ask to be put on the International Data Plan for the length of your trip. You can also verify they have data service in Cabo.

I just did this for a recent trip to Aruba. They pro-rate the difference between the $30/month data & the $65/month international data plan...so it shouldn't cost you more than $10 for a week. Your bills might be screwed up for 2 months because they add the $65 and then credit you back the next month.

Phydeaux likes this.
  6. Phydeaux

Thanks! That sounds like the ideal solution. Resorts charge a fortune for WiFi access ($25/day) and many times you can only use it in the lobby.