data usage questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. Varg

Varg Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,
    I have the 150 mb data package... recently at my place of employment the IT guys blocked our music streaming capability thru our computers. I cant live without some sort of radio playing in the background.
    Now, i have a great company wireless connection at my desk, so, i guess my question is if i stream a radio station or get Pandora to stream from my phone while connected to Wifi, does it eat up the data?

i have much music in loaded on my SD card, but most of it is um.. unacceptable... for a work environment. :D

any comments are appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. swc2001

swc2001 Well-Known Member

Whoa!!!
    Yeah youll eat that with Pandora REAL Quick.

Thats weird though. I thought it was mandatory to have the Unlimited Data package with Android phones.

150Mb is nothing unfortunately.
    My wife will go through that in 20 minutes with Net Flix.

3. Varg

fortunately i don't use netflix and i am within reach of a good wireless network 85% of my week (at home and at work). So far in a month or having an Ally i've only used 30 MB and thats because i used the navigation 3 or 4 times and thats using my phone constantly as well.

i know i can download and do stuff on Wifi and not get charged for data usage i just wasn't sure about radio and or Pandora via Wifi

4. swc2001

Hmmm ok educate me. I have never done that.
    How do you use an external wifi source for your phone to run on?

Because If you could hook into your Works wifi then I guess pandora and everything else would not cost you any data.

5. Varg

on an LG Ally
    Settings menu -->Wireless & Networks--> Select "WiFi" to turn it on, then go to Wi-Fi Settings to see details or enter passwords etc...

only reason i switched to a smart phone (from an Env Touch) is because of the Wifi.

swc2001 likes this.
  6. Bogie

Bogie Well-Known Member

Did they block streaming through the computers or through the network? If they blocked it at a network level it probably won't help to connect using WiFi.

7. Hemi345

Hemi345 New Member

My wife uses Pandora on her phone over wi-fi without it tapping into her 150MB data allowance. Just make sure you switch off pandora when you leave work/range of your wi-fi connection!

I'm with Bogie on this one, your work probably blocked streaming media sites at the network level and not one just the PC. But it's definately worth a try on your phone.

8. swc2001

Man I hate IT guys....

JK if your in IT

9. k.c.cole

k.c.cole Well-Known Member

10. jakob95

jakob95 Well-Known Member

Well if its over Wifi then it won't waste your Data usage at all. But you should do what I do and download DroidWall which allows you to block Data connection for apps(you get a nice menu and you could choose which app you want to block Data for).