data usage when roaming abroadSupport

Last Updated:

1. greatsnoring

greatsnoring Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 26, 2010
    I have a new HTC Desire. I am going abroad to France and Italy. I have a data roaming package of just 5MB per day. I am happy to only check emails when away and avoid using maps etc which would take me over this limit. There are no wifi hotspots where I am going. I have worked out how to switch data roaming off, but then I presume I wont be able to receive emails. If I switch data roaming on briefly to get emails, sometimes I find I have sent/received close to 5MB of data, presumably from other apps. Is there an easy way to prevent data transfer without affecting emails? Apologies if this is a bit basic!!

2. oldtimer47

oldtimer47 New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    I also have a Desire (2.2) and I'm interested in this as well - I'm concerned about the connection charges that can rack up when the phone 'auto syncs'. My plan was to turn off auto sync and turn off mobile internet - hopefully that will stop all mobile data but leave the phone working as a phone. When I need to check email I can just turn mobile data back on and manually check for emails. I'm not sure if this would still allow wi-fi access if it was available. It's kind of difficult to test any of this while on the home network !

I'd be interested in any feedback from people about whether this will work, whether there are any better suggestions or whether there are any apps that do it for you.

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

May 25, 2010
    Turn off background data and untick all the accounts and sync's you dont want. go through all your apps that sync / connect to the internet and manually change them to not to.

Try this at home first to get an idea of what is transferring. You can fine tune it.
    greatsnoring likes this.