• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

data usage with g1?

I don't know if AT&T offers this, but carriers in Canada have the option of blocking all data to your account if you just call them up to ask.
Just give them a shout and see if that's an option for you, though you may come across some service reps who will try to con you into signing up for a data plan saying how you'll need it and blah blah blah.

Upvote 0
I don't know if AT&T offers this, but carriers in Canada have the option of blocking all data to your account if you just call them up to ask.
Just give them a shout and see if that's an option for you, though you may come across some service reps who will try to con you into signing up for a data plan saying how you'll need it and blah blah blah.

That is available on at&t however i wont be able to send or receive mms messages so I didnt do it. I really just want to make sure that when i dont have the browser or andriod market up, that my phone isnt running up data charges that I dont know about in the background.

Upvote 0
In that case I think that all you have to worry about is the data syncing.
Just shut off auto-sync and you should be fine.

I think it has already been proved and well documented on here that just shutting off data syncing does not stop the phone from using data. I think there is an application on the market that was developed after this issue was found that does something with the APN so that it can't sync even when it tries to. Have a search around the site as I'm sure all the information is here

Upvote 0
I don't understand why you'd buy a G1 and then not get a data plan for it. 75% of the reason to own the phone is the mobile internet capabilities it gives you.

that really got me no closer to solving my problem... in fact it may have gotten me farther away.

I think it has already been proved and well documented on here that just shutting off data syncing does not stop the phone from using data. I think there is an application on the market that was developed after this issue was found that does something with the APN so that it can't sync even when it tries to. Have a search around the site as I'm sure all the information is here

thanks very much. i found the app called APNdroid. problem solved

Upvote 0
I have just bought a G1 myself and obviousyy didnt do my homework before the purchase. Can anyone tell me how to download the app? I live in a very small town so there arent any hotspots that i know of to use the wifi. Can this phone be plugged in my PC via USB cable and download to the PC then copy it to the phone? I have little use for the internet on a phone, just thought i would give it a try, and can purchase 100MB for $20.00, I just dont know what may be running in the background that I dont know about. and for the record, im not an idiot, I just havent used a phone like this before. My last phone got crushed (HTC TyTN 2) and and I hastily bought the phone because it looked great. With the TyTN 2 you had the option of turning on and off any internet usage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think the
APNdroid would fix all this. I just dont have a contract with AT&T because I actually hate that service provider so I use Pay As YOu Go to eliminate AT&T's surprises in billing, its just our only option where we live... Does the APNdroid completly solve this problem? welder1973

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones